account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Xperia XZ3 OLED screen question

SOLVED
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

Xperia XZ3 OLED screen question

Hi all,

I am really considering to buy XZ3. However, I am a little worried about the OLED panel. Do not get me wrong, it looks really incredible. However, image retention or burn in are common issues with OLED panels. Have any of you, owners of XZ3, experienced any of the issues so far? Or am I overworried (if that is a word)?

Or do you suggest to turn to XZ2 instead? As there are really great deals for this beast in my country.

Thank you very much.

Regards!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Re: Xperia XZ3 OLED screen question

I'm using OLED screens for a while now (had a few Galaxys along the way and am now using the XZ3 since December) and had not encountered any burn-in issues on any device yet.

Technically, it's not a burn-in but rather wear -the light emitting elements lose their brightness when they are used on high brightness for a long time. You wouldn't notice when the whole screen equally wears but if your phone often shows the same screen on a high you may encounter the pixels that are more in use to have less brightness at some point in time.

Just make sure that you don't stare at the same static screen on high brightness often and for a long time. Put the auto-off for the screen to 30seconds or 1minute and you should be fine.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

I'm using OLED screens for a while now (had a few Galaxys along the way and am now using the XZ3 since December) and had not encountered any burn-in issues on any device yet.

Technically, it's not a burn-in but rather wear -the light emitting elements lose their brightness when they are used on high brightness for a long time. You wouldn't notice when the whole screen equally wears but if your phone often shows the same screen on a high you may encounter the pixels that are more in use to have less brightness at some point in time.

Just make sure that you don't stare at the same static screen on high brightness often and for a long time. Put the auto-off for the screen to 30seconds or 1minute and you should be fine.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

Dear @skycamefalling,

thank you very much for your response. And how often do you change your phone approximately?

Thanks!

Kind regards.

Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

@Z5thebest Usually one year and then I forward the device to my wife.

So we have experience for more or less 2 years with OLED-screens in a smartphone with daily use. No issues so far.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

@skycamefalling,

Thank you very much for your responses. Much appreciated!

Kind regards!