account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

XZ3 SIM card not detected issue

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 1 of 20
Message 1 of 20

XZ3 SIM card not detected issue

For the past couple of weeks my phone randomly shows no SIM card detected then I have to reboot the phone to resolve the issue. Has anyone else experienced this issue? 

I have tried removing and cleaning the SIM even though there are no signs of dust, my phone has a cover on anyways and is always well looked after. 

I have also noticed that when I turn the phone off and back on it takes longer than usual to turn back on. The notification light flashes yellow then eventually turns on. 

I was hoping it's a faulty SIM but worried it's the phone. 

I am going to try the SIM in another handset to see what happens. 

19 REPLIES 19
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 20
Message 2 of 20

Re: XZ3 SIM card not detected issue

Hi @Keo2019, I am sorry to hear about this.

In addition to the troubleshooting you mentioned in your post, I would suggest that you also try another SIM card in your phone in order to see if the same thing happens with another SIM. Testing your SIM card in another device does not rule out a defect of the SIM card, as different devices might react differently to a defect of the SIM card. 

If another SIM card works better, I would suggest that you get in contact with your network provider in order to have the SIM card replaced.

Let me know how it goes! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Visitor
Message 3 of 20
Message 3 of 20

I am experiencing the same issue as well.

I tried my own SIM card in another phone and it works just fine. Vice versa, when i take a SIM card from another phone and insert into the XZ3, it does not detect it.

When manually searching for networks, it does detect my home cellular network, but it just refuses to connect to it with the SIM card not detected response.

So far my only solution is to factory reset the phone and set up the phone from scratch again, but once I go into an area with no cellular signal i run into the same issue again.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 20
Message 4 of 20

Hi @chibihien, I am sorry to hear about that.

In that case I would suggest that you try to perform a software repair using a computer and Xperia Companion. Please note though that a software repair will erase all user data, so remember to do a backup of your user data first. 

If the software repair do not manage to improve the functionality of the SIM card reader, I suggest that you get in contact with your local support team. They can help you to have your phone sent to an authorized service center to be physically examined. If you have any questions regarding the service, such as routines, warranty and consumer laws, these type of questions are best answered by your local support team as well, as they vary between markets.

Let me know if you have further questions!

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Visitor
Message 5 of 20
Message 5 of 20

Managed to get it working without a software repair or full factory rest, but I'm not sure if this is a long term solution.

I went into Phone information menut after entering *#*#4636#*#* on the keypad, and manually toggled the option for Mobile Radio Power to off, and then on again after a short wait, and my phone locks onto my home cellular network again.

One time poster
Message 6 of 20
Message 6 of 20

Hello,

i have the same issue and tried it with another Sim Card and it still can not detect it, also factory reset with PC Companion didn't work. It also restarts every time... tried it with the number code and still doesn't work. All started since update Android 9 patch 52.0.A.8.50.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 7 of 20
Message 7 of 20

Hi @Blocki, sorry to hear about this. 

As i mentioned earlier in the thread, if the software repair do not manage to improve the functionality of the SIM card reader, I suggest that you get in contact with your local support team. They can help you to have your phone sent to an authorized service center to be physically examined. If you have any questions regarding the service, such as routines, warranty and consumer laws, these type of questions are best answered by your local support team as well, as they vary between markets.

Let me know if you have further questions!

Visitor
Message 8 of 20
Message 8 of 20

Exact same issue guys, thanks for pushing an update out which practically breaks your phone.

4g doesn't ever work, I get EDGE signal at best and most of the time I have no signal what so ever!!

I've contacted vodafone and Sony, both have no help what so ever apart from sending it in after factory reset or software repair hasn't fixed it.

Why should I lose my phone for a week or due to your faulty software upgrade?

This came from Android 9 patch 52.0.A.8.50.. biggest waste of an upgrade I've ever done on a phone.

Pioneer
Message 9 of 20
Message 9 of 20

Did you try to reset network settings?

It will reset your mobile internet settings too, maybe it will do the trick.

At least it is less disrupting than a factory reset.

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't
Learner
Message 10 of 20
Message 10 of 20

I have the same Problem with my Sony Xperia XZ3 Update 52.0.A.8.50

I have reset ALL Settings and the Phone has already been swapped...

But it doesn't works Angry Face