account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

XZ user not impressed with the XZ3

Enthusiast
Message 11 of 18
Message 11 of 18

Re: Not impressed with the XZ3

I've never had an issue despite driving a car and cooking in my kitchen, and what you describe as pointless and whatever, I quite like. 

If I want to check the time or see what message has come through I just have to pick the phone up and it shows me, no tapping involved, I can just tilt it towards me and I'm done. 

My point is everybody is different and not everyone will like everything ,but you're acting as though your opinion is the only right one, it's not. 

Adviser
Message 12 of 18
Message 12 of 18

So it's fine for you Darbo, so then your opinion is the right one? OK then. 

How about you read my reply properly before jumping to assumptions? 

I asked for the OPTION to bypass the ambient screen (which is pointless for me). Simply - an option in settings (just like the XZ had) for "double tap to wake". 

So you can have your ambient screen and I can turn off but still access my phone without having to pick up the entire handset off the table. 

Also, I'm not talking about the functionality of "checking the time or notifications" but rather the ease of unlocking the phone. It sounds like you don't have a lock on your phone enabled at all if you're able to access the recipe in your phones browser once it has turned it's screen off on your kitchen side with "no tapping invloved". 

Maybe you can tell us how you unock your phone with one hand whilst it is sat in a cradle in your car?

Enthusiast
Message 13 of 18
Message 13 of 18

Of course I have a lock on my phone, I use my normal sized fingers to unlock it with the fingerprint scanner on the back 

I'll go back to my original point, you've been up in arms about this phone in a very dramatic fashion, the vast majority of your issues could have been mitigated with research, you've even complained about things you knew about prior to buying it like the lack of headphone socket, I didn't like ie this originally either  but after looking into it I found that Sony provide an adapter in the box, good enough for me but if its not good enough for you(like everything else on the phone) then why buy it ?

Treat this horrendous life altering experience as a lesson for the future, before buying a phone go to a shop and check out a display model, learn about what you're buying and see if it's right for you. 

Adviser
Message 14 of 18
Message 14 of 18

The main gripe I've had has been the functionality (which, as I've already explained) could not be "mitigated with research" as it requires real-world usage, not popping in to a phone shop and fingering it for 20 minutes.

And (which I've also expained) I couldn't appreciate how annoying these design elements were (such as lacking headphone socket) until I have been using the phone in real life. I have already stated that I have migrated from an XZ, so much of these changes are fresh to me and frankly seem very gimmicky and needlessly hindering. 

If you had an XZ2 or similar and thus have simply gotten use to some of this bad design then good for you. I would like to point out the bad design to anyone migrating from a phone with great design like the XZ so that they can use it to judge better their buying choice (as I have already said). 

I asked how you unlock it with one hand whilst it's in a car cradle, as you mentioned you didn't have a problem with that. You can't reach the fingerprint scanner, and phone screen is black/blank. How do you do it? 

And for that matter, how do you unlock the phone without picking it up? I'm sure you can appreciate some phone users would like to do this? Why not have the option in settings? Why is that something you must resist? It is literally sitting there as dormant code.

This ambient screen nonsense doesn't even work 100% of the time. Just a few moments ago I lifted it out of my pocket and it stayed blank. I had to press the side button to wake it. Fluid functionality or what. 

Enthusiast
Message 15 of 18
Message 15 of 18

OK, point for point, if you go to a phone shop and test it out  you'll see the extra screen and be able to note how many taps you need to unlock it, you can also note the materials used and whether they are to your taste or not.

I don't see how you couldn't predict how the missing socket would affect you, I put the adapter on the end of my headphones I use for the phone and that's that, you may be different but then you should know your needs and whether this meets them.

My previous phone was the z5 so, like you, these features are brand new to me, you keep saying you need to point out bad design,  it isn't bad design, you just don't like it. You didn't ask how i unlock the phone while driving, you commented on having to negotiate the extra screen while driving and it being annoying, my comment was in regard to not having an issue, the motion of the car keeps the first screen visible so I'd only have to tap twice (like my previous phone) to access the phone, in this situation I would input my 4 digit code but again, its not an issue because I only use my phone as a sat nav rarely so it's often just on the seat next to me .

I don't unlock the phone without picking it up, if some users find this necessary they can turn off the fingerprint and use another option.

And finally, I have yet to have a problem with the screen not showing automatically, if its only now and again I won't let it ruin my day, if it becomes a regular thing I'd mention it here or reinstall software. 

Adviser
Message 16 of 18
Message 16 of 18

My arguments are about the functionality of the phone in my experience of usage, not yours. 

So you can't see a use for simply activating an option to double-tap to wake without the ambient screen. Brilliant, then I guess those of us who desperately want this function will all just have to lump it. What exactly *is* your argument for not reinstating this existing tech?? It wouldn't be a huge change to the tech team but would be very useful for many users. Why are you against it?

"you just don't like it" - Sure, because having a fingerprint scanner hidden out of eyesight on the back of a phone, directly next to the identically-sized camera lens, placed at the same length of the average human knuckle from the hand's normal holding position is "not bad design". Erm, sure. I must be the first person who doesn't like that...(see many of the reviews, forums etc). The XZ scanner was a masterpiece compared to this. 

fantastic that you have a bumpy car to keep your high-tech phone awake. Mine isn't. It's actually smooth as silk. But again, as long as you don't experience the problem then it's fine. You personally also don't need that functionality (in your own words) so how can you sit there arguing it? Seems like argument for the sake of argument. 

If it's something you don't use, nor want, then I don't see why you're on the defensive. It seems you're just unhappy that I don't love the phone as much as you.

The screen is gorgeous, the camera is great, Android Pie is generally really nice, wireless charge is great, waterproofing is great, tech specs are fine, the UI close enough to G stock...so there you go I don't all-out hate the phone. It is, however seriously hindered from being near-perfect by some really daft design decisions which could easily be alleviated, if not completely erradicated, with a simple patch fix. 

If they simply added the double-tap-to-wake function then I wouldn't be even the slightest bit bothered by the ambient screen (as it would be switched off) or even the fingerprint scanner placement (as I wouldn't use it). A simple software fix would shut me up to enjoy the phone. 

Enthusiast
Message 17 of 18
Message 17 of 18

I stopped reading when you started getting passive aggressive, "fantastic you have a bumpy car, i don't, its silky smooth" . 

An absolutely ridiculous comment, I'm done. 

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 18 of 18
Message 18 of 18

Same as me, at your previous "it's not bad design, you just don't like it". (you could have instead explained why it was 'good design' instead of attacking me). 

Though I still endevoured to present an argument which still stands, should you ever become un"done" and read it.

I also don't see the problem with my car comment. It *is* smooth so the sceen doesn't stay awake. How you've taken that personally is a bit strange.