account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does the phone keep telling me that the sd card isn't supported and I need to format it before u

Apprentice
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

Why does the phone keep telling me that the sd card isn't supported and I need to format it before u

9 REPLIES
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

Re: Why does the phone keep telling me that the sd card isn't supported and I need to format it befo

@deadhead1it might be not seated properly in the slot, or you've encrypted the card when using it with another device, or the card is failing.

Apprentice
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

Re: Why does the phone keep telling me that the sd card isn't supported and I need to format it befo

The card is brand new and I always format them when I get them. So it's not that. It's a make I've used before and it was in my xz before and it was fine. I formatted it before I put it in my XZ3. So I don't know what why it keeps telling me that It's not supported? 

Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

Maybe you've formatted it with the wrong file system so it can't be used.

Why not let your phone format the SD card or is this also not working? 

Highlighted
Pioneer
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

Try SD card formatter, the official one.

If it keeps failing then try to slide it in another device to check that it's not the SD card.

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't
Apprentice
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

I've let the phone format the card but if I turn off the phone when I turn it on again it tells me it's not supported and needs to be formatted again.! So basically I can't store any music or anything else on it. It might be wise just to change the make of card I'm using. Any suggestions for that. 

Pioneer
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

Run the phone without SD card, run the phone with another SD card and see what happens.

SD cards have a tendency of dying every once -in-a-while.

Don't trust the 'brand new' in this case.

Maybe put it back in the case and return it to the shop?

Swap it for another?

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't
Apprentice
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

Ok thanks for your help. I'll give it a try and see what happens. I'll let you know either way..

Apprentice
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

I've let the phone format the card but if I turn my phone off then on again it tells me that it's not supported and I need to format it before I can use it .

Pioneer
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

Did you install it as a searate SD card or as an encrypted one that merges with internal memory.

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't