account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Update schedule?

Learner
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

Update schedule?

Just wondering what the general update schedule for the various XZ3 models are.

I purchased the H9493 6GB model back in the middle of March, and at that time it was on the February firmware update. I posted a question on XDA and was assured that this was not unusual, and my particular model would get the March update within a few weeks.

Well here it is mid-April and I'm still on the February firmware, while other regions have already gotten the April update.

Just wondering how normal this is? One of the reasons I decided to try a Sony phone was that they were supposed to get regular updates, but so far my experience isn't bearing that out.

6 REPLIES 6
Pioneer
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: Update schedule?

Updates depend on the region.

You can check for the state of your updates here.

The best way to check is by using Xperia Companion.

BTW: it's always interesting to follow Xperiablog.net

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't
Learner
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

@Strampke wrote:

Updates depend on the region.

You can check for the state of your updates here.

The best way to check is by using Xperia Companion.

BTW: it's always interesting to follow Xperiablog.net

Checking that link just tells me the phone is up to date; it doesn't give me any information on when the next monthly update will be coming however, which is what I'm interested in (since I already know the phone is up to date). 

It just seems weird that the Taiwanese version (which is the model I have) should be so far behind all the other regions in terms of software updates. If I had known it was going to be this lax in terms of montly updates I would have flashed the North American firmware when I first got the phone.

Highlighted
Learner
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

Quick update, other users with the H9493 models are reporting being on firmware update 52.0.A.8.25,  but I'm still on 52.0.A.3.202. Everytime I check for updates, it says my system is up to date. Any way to get this problem rectified? 

Emperor
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

@Geese1 

It's not a problem, you have 2 options:

1. wait for the update to be approved and released in your country and/or by your carrier network. No, no one can answer when it'll be released nor approved.

2. Manually update the phone with Xperifirm 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Learner
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

Been talking to someone in the XDA forums, and it appears I have the Hong Kong version of the phone, not the Taiwanese. This person has had HK versions in the past and said they do tend to take longer than usual to get updates, but they eventually do get them.

I'm thinking what I'm going to do, if I have time this weekend, is flash over a different region firmware, as one of the reasons I went for a Sony phone was for their faster updates than most other OEMs, and I'd rather not have to wait an unknown amount of time in hopes that the phone will eventually be current. 

Emperor
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

@Geese1 

The nordic version or global firmware are good options too.

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)