account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Real improvement in camera software

Adviser
Message 1 of 49
Message 1 of 49

Real improvement in camera software

Hey there guys. Just wanna share with you my findings with the new sony xperia xz3 and its camera. So, even if it has the same hardware as xz1 and xz2, software processing seems to have improved, both for low light and day light. Here is a daylight comparison with the Iphone XS and a low light comparison with the Galaxy S9+. And to my eyes... it's better than both:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfykvyh-IVU&t=511s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAJndlOAmB8&t=215s

So, after the Iphone XS, it's time for the Sony Xperia XZ3 to take on the Samsung Galaxy S9+ on its own game, low light videography and photography. Hope you enjoy our comparison, and please leave a comment with your feedback and opinions on how we can improve our work ...
Hey guys, we are finally back. but at last we have the video comparison between Sony Xperia XZ3 and Apple Iphone Xs. Sorry for the delay, but we needed time to raise money for these 2 expensive smartphones. Hope you enjoy it, and please leave a comment with your feedback and opinions on how we can
48 REPLIES 48
Commissioner
Message 2 of 49
Message 2 of 49

Re: Real improvement in camera software

Mah, if for you a extremely grainy and full of noise low light photos are better than cleaner ones, I think it is your personal taste but not objective good looking shots.

Happy you like them but customers look for clean low light photos as other brands offers and sells confirm.

Message 3 of 49
Message 3 of 49

@Alessio_84 wrote:

Mah, if for you a extremely grainy and full of noise low light photos are better than cleaner ones, I think it is your personal taste but not objective good looking shots.

Happy you like them but customers look for clean low light photos as other brands offers and sells confirm.

What?Screenshot_20181029-150607.png

Screenshot_20181029-150622.png

I know which ones look cleaner to me, and it's not the one with an 80% noise reduction filter on it...

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Inhabitant
Message 4 of 49
Message 4 of 49

My xz3 camera pics are really really really really really really noisy. How did you manage to get these shots good?

I'm very much disappointed with my handset. 

Also I'd like to mention that whenever i turn on hdr the it seems as if the colours has committed suicide. Turn off the hdr and you get vivid colours. Is it supposed to be like that?? 

Front camera is always out of focus(blurry) on the final image even though i could focus it correctly on the viewfinder after many attempts. 

Improvements? 

Message 5 of 49
Message 5 of 49

@Britexz3 wrote:

Also I'd like to mention that whenever i turn on hdr the it seems as if the colours has committed suicide. Turn off the hdr and you get vivid colours. Is it supposed to be like that?? 

Yes, HDR literally means high dynamic range, vivid colours are actually less range due to crushing over X amount of luminance, HDR video allows you to have more natural colour detail and if editing, allows you to add more effect including vividness, without losing detail.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.

Message 6 of 49
Message 6 of 49

@Britexz3 wrote:

My xz3 camera pics are really really really really really really noisy. How did you manage to get these shots good?

I'm very much disappointed with my handset. 

Can you post an example?

Commissioner
Message 7 of 49
Message 7 of 49

@viridis

Are you serious?

Really you want try to compare 12 Mpx against 19 Mpx? Neither a child would do this joke...

To you, Sony forum moderator, obviously look cleaner Sony shots. To ALL other customers, ALL reviewers, ALL photographers XZ3 shots are EXTREMELY noisy, sharp but granular, full of noise in daylight and especially low light. Plus, it burns highlights and lose details in dark shadows.

There are a tons of images in ALL websites dedicated useless post them here.

So, stop FAKE post, here is a serious forum!

Inhabitant
Message 8 of 49
Message 8 of 49

@Alessio_84 wrote:

To ALL other customers, ALL reviewers, ALL photographers XZ3 shots are EXTREMELY noisy, sharp but granular, full of noise in daylight and especially low light. Plus, it burns highlights and lose details in dark shadows.

Exactly what I'm going through. Even in broad day light, the images are very noisy. I can't believe I'm using a 2018 handset. When u zoom in a bit you could notice the granular effect. I'll post an image later

The handset is in my show case now 

Message 9 of 49
Message 9 of 49

@Alessio_84 wrote:

@viridis

Are you serious?

Really you want try to compare 12 Mpx against 19 Mpx? Neither a child would do this joke...

To you, Sony forum moderator, obviously look cleaner Sony shots. To ALL other customers, ALL reviewers, ALL photographers XZ3 shots are EXTREMELY noisy, sharp but granular, full of noise in daylight and especially low light. Plus, it burns highlights and lose details in dark shadows.

There are a tons of images in ALL websites dedicated useless post them here.

So, stop FAKE post, here is a serious forum!

Yes, I was serious.

You can't gain more detail from photos that have noise reduction set to stupid levels...

But you can add noise reduction to a photo that has grain but still has detail.

Take his photo of his face.

It's noisy on the xz3 but the Samsung has added a noise reduction so harsh, it's lost all definition and clarity, just for the sake of being "noise free"

Meanwhile if he too the Sony shot and added a luminance noise reduction and balanced it with detail and structure, the Sony shot could easily be made noiseless without losing all the structure and definition.

But by just adding an 80% noise reduction in processing, which the Samsung's do in low light, youve lost that detail forever, you can't edit that info back in.

So yes, I'd rather have a photo with noise and detail, over a smoothed over detail lacking photo ANY day of the week.

Inhabitant
Message 10 of 49
Message 10 of 49

I don't want to argue but what about raw image option for image with preserved details and much more noise free and oil paint effect free images from auto mode? 

From what you told, it's good to have the details with some noise on it but in the end you would still end up Photoshoping the image to appear pleasing rather than noisy. Why not give that result in auto mode instead of giving a normal user the additional step to process the image further? For professionals you could always output the raw file which i think this phone lacks..

I'm confused... Correct me if I'm wrong. 

I'm still a hardcore Sony fan or else i wouldn't have gone for this handset, but the results are so unbelievable.