account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobile World Congress 2019

Sonys Press conference from MWC took place end of February
If you missed it you can watch it here.
Please join the discussion here and share your thoughts on what was anounced here. MWC 2019 discussion.

Real improvement in camera software

Message 31 of 47
Message 31 of 47

Re: Real improvement in camera software

@Forzanerazzurrican you post any sample photos?

and regarding super slowmo videos, they need very good lighting because of the high shutter speeds. the video will be noisy if you don't record it in strong sunlight or similar conditions.

Inhabitant
Message 32 of 47
Message 32 of 47

@Forzanerazzurri wrote:

I am having issues with the XZ3 camera as well. I have a dual sim phone on Taiwanese firmware 52.0.A.3.89 and im beginning to think this sensor is defective, its that bad. The grain in photos is unacceptble and results in weird coloring on faces and really really grainy effects everywhere. The low light video is even worse with multicolor pixel noise everywhere. Slow mo video is unusable its like watching a tv station full of static. Not sure what to do here...is it software, hardware? A defect? 

The exact same issue i faced. In low light situations especially while capturing a person's face, the noise is most visible. I switched on to the US firmware as i had some other issues like no update for the software version i was having on the device. I don't think it has to do something magical to the camera issue, but there were improvements. I always use flash even in medium lit conditions and the results are pretty decent. The manual mode does a great job too when the auto mode just fails everytime.

But the point is, you are in 2018 using a latest flagship device of a company that are pretty good at the camera department, but you have to look into so much details or even use the manual mouse to capture a good moment most of the time. 

Message 33 of 47
Message 33 of 47

@Britexz3 wrote:

@Forzanerazzurri wrote:

I am having issues with the XZ3 camera as well. I have a dual sim phone on Taiwanese firmware 52.0.A.3.89 and im beginning to think this sensor is defective, its that bad. The grain in photos is unacceptble and results in weird coloring on faces and really really grainy effects everywhere. The low light video is even worse with multicolor pixel noise everywhere. Slow mo video is unusable its like watching a tv station full of static. Not sure what to do here...is it software, hardware? A defect? 

The exact same issue i faced. In low light situations especially while capturing a person's face, the noise is most visible. I switched on to the US firmware as i had some other issues like no update for the software version i was having on the device. I don't think it has to do something magical to the camera issue, but there were improvements. I always use flash even in medium lit conditions and the results are pretty decent. The manual mode does a great job too when the auto mode just fails everytime.

But the point is, you are in 2018 using a latest flagship device of a company that are pretty good at the camera department, but you have to look into so much details or even use the manual mouse to capture a good moment most of the time. 

Thank you for your help. I got the same results in the conditiosn you described. Ill try the US Firmware. What firmware were you coming from? 

Inhabitant
Message 34 of 47
Message 34 of 47

The firmware version on my device was not even listed in the Sony website. I checked for the firmware version using Xperifirm too. I bought it from amazon us. Since i hat no option to update even though an update was available for other fws, i switched to the us firmware. .

Pioneer
Message 35 of 47
Message 35 of 47

When you have unlocked your device the photo quality will diminish, especially in low light conditions.

From XDA

If you unlocked your bootloader on a recent Sony Xperia device, you probably know that the potential loss of warranty is not the only disadvantage you have to accept. Another fairly hidden issue is related to various proprietary features such as the X-Reality color mangement, BIONZ image processor and the active noise cancelling techniques.

Once you decide to unlock your bootloader, the process also removes a piece of data referred to as the DRM keys. These are tied to various services (such as streaming video and the like) offered by Sony but are also required for the features mentioned above to work properly. Put simply, once the keys are gone, you’ll face issues such as decreased low light camera image quality and the lack of the X-Reality mode.

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't
Inhabitant
Message 36 of 47
Message 36 of 47

The device isn't unlocked. There's no rooting solution until now, so no point in unlocking.

Whatever i mentioned was oobe experience. 

Learner
Message 37 of 47
Message 37 of 47

I got my xperia yesterday, compared to the S7  the camera is absolutely terrible. There is no stabilisation, the pictures are grainy. There is absolutely no comparison, Samsung are a millions times better. 

I would even say on a whole the phone is worse than my S7!

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 38 of 47
Message 38 of 47

I do not know what happens with your phone. I find it making absolute stunning photos especially on night time. It really really impressed me alot. 

As i am saying this, also want you to know that i.m an amateur photographer owning dslrs and dji drones for this. And i say i have more than basic photographic knowledgeScreenshot_20181221-131722.png

Inhabitant
Message 39 of 47
Message 39 of 47

Can the above photo be considered as unsharp/noisy etc? I say not!

Inhabitant
Message 40 of 47
Message 40 of 47

Also i forgot to mention the fact that the photos look also stunning on a laptop. Usually, at samsung, all the vivid colors and sharpness magically dissappear when photos are transfered to a laptop/desktop.