account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Real improvement in camera software

Message 11 of 49
Message 11 of 49

Re: Real improvement in camera software

Oh no, you're smack on correct, 100%

If given the option myself and on my other photography equipment, I SOLELY use RAW for full sensor output.

As my Xperia devices don't output RAW I offer my own choices based on jpeg which between the devices Ive used, Xperia are closer to the sensor output as opposed to those that HEAVILY post process as part of the jpeg creation.

However I might add, low light RAW off ANY phone look garbage and in many cases you have the choice of multi frame overly noise reduced jpeg, or unusable raw which take some serious editing to even look acceptable, let alone what you'd call good.

That's probably why my preference has been Xperias in low light, not overly processed and still a little room for good editing, it's not everyone's liking, but for me, it's better than most alternatives out there.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Inhabitant
Message 12 of 49
Message 12 of 49

My phone was on some stupid firmware version which is not even listed in Xperifirm or device check page on sony website. I didnot get any update notification to the October patch. So i just flashed a US firmware and my camera is performing different. The oil paint effect is reduced to a great extent now. The noise is also reduced even though it still exists. Does the firmware version have something to do with camera settings? Everyone's sleeping now, so I'll post the results tomorrow.

Message 13 of 49
Message 13 of 49

It won't be a region thing, nor affected by camera settings, but yes, updates can include an improvement to camera functionality.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Inhabitant
Message 14 of 49
Message 14 of 49

I'm wondering why the images that come with the phone with embedded 'shot on Xperia' does not have any information regarding the iso, shutter speed etc in its details menu option. When you take a picture with the handset it gets embedded. Why is this difference? 

Commissioner
Message 15 of 49
Message 15 of 49

What is stupid and not serious is compare details of photos taken at different Mpx.

Compare 12 Mpx (Sony) with 12 Mpx (Samsung) would be realistic.

More the face taken with Samsung seams not in focus.

About details aspect I agree with you, I also prefer more details over heavy noise reduction.

What is very stupid is BIONZ don't elaborate the shots to make them noiseless as can be done in post processing with Photoshop. 

Ok to have shots more close to sensor output to elaborate (eventually) later on PC but this is an approach for professional photographers, not all users. And give a bad results when showed on big screens without post processing corrections.

Message 16 of 49
Message 16 of 49

@Alessio_84 wrote:

What is stupid and not serious is compare details of photos taken at different Mpx.

Compare 12 Mpx (Sony) with 12 Mpx (Samsung) would be realistic.

Why would this be realistic?

In a car race, should the faster car also drive slower to align with the slowest car because it's stupid and not serious to compare a faster with a slower car?

According to your thinking, it would only be fair if the night shots with the Samsung phone would be done with the smaller aperture because Sony only has f/2.0 so it's stupid and not serious to compare this with the f/1.5 of the Samsung.

The Xperia has the advantage of more MPx so of course this benefit must be utilitzed in the comparison because that's what the user gets in reality.

A serious test compares the photos a typical user get out of both phones and if the phone with more MPx takes better photos than the phone with larger aperture then it means that Sony has the better camera concept.

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 17 of 49
Message 17 of 49

Everyone's right in their perspective. But I'd like to add by saying this again that for the majority of users out there aren't professionals when they come to camera. I can see that most of the people choose to buy a handset just by looking at the camera performance. By performance i mean pleasing output from camera and not an image with noise having the justification of additional details. 

Everyone want a camera that goes in their pocket. For professionals, they go for dslr or similar devices and not a smartphone. 

Yes, pros could take part in a competition to show off their skills using a smartphone, that's ok. But majority of the users out there want their camera TO TAKE PICTURES AND DO THE POST PROCESSING FOR THEM INSTANTLY AND OUTPUT PHOTOS THAT ARE GOOD TO LOOK AT. No one neither likes their blemishes or sunburns to be on a picture or the image to be full of noise. 

And for the pros out there there's always a raw output mode. 

We could simply argue that Sony has done this kind of post processing to justify the preservation of details, but in real it seems they are beating around the bush. 

This isn't an argument, it's just a frustrated customer's or rather a hardcore Sony fan's humble opinion. 

Pioneer
Message 18 of 49
Message 18 of 49

If you want (what I think are) reliable reviews then go DxOMark.

If you want good pictures then go for a decent DSLR camera.

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't
Inhabitant
Message 19 of 49
Message 19 of 49

@Strampke wrote:

If you want (what I think are) reliable reviews then go DxOMark. (alright)

If you want good pictures then go for a decent DSLR camera.

I just want a brand like Sony to perform at least average in case of camera when they offer such a thing inside a smartphone. Dslr don't fit in the pocket and thus the idea of a camera inside a phone or else phones would have been just phones. 

The point is -

Sony: hey I've this camera integrated in the flagship model phone which performs great and it costs $$

Me Face with open Mouthk I'd like to buy one but i want it to be on par with the competition and the price being asked for. 

OOB Camera Experience: nothing like advertised. 

Justice? 

Pioneer
Message 20 of 49
Message 20 of 49

I understand your disappointment.

Next time: first check reviews.

My opinion:

Don't expect too much from any phone camera, they're perfect for snapshots.

My Xperia X btw delivers better low light photos than my wife's Nikon 3400 with Nikon 18-200 lense and my own Canon S110 is beaten too under low light circumstances.

In bright daylight the Xperia X is miles away from the Nikon quality but the difference between Xperia X and Canon S110 cannot be observed at first sight.

In fact my phone has become first choice. It's snappy, always at hand and delivers reasonably good quality.

Even more, my Xperia X has already taken a picture while the real cameras are still being grabbed at and mostly are too late to capture those special precious moments.

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't