account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Muting myself when in-call with someone

Adept
Message 1 of 15
Message 1 of 15

Muting myself when in-call with someone

Does anyone have this issue where the proximity sensor sometimes (most of the times for me) "misses" and your screen turns on while you talk and the mute button is pressed accidentally by the ear? I know it sounds weird but it happens to me frequently  I run the phone tests and everything seems to be working fine but I don't know what it is. I never had this issue on my old XZ and it seems that the XZ3 proximity sensor (while the depth field is fine) has a narrower range/field. Could that be the issue? 

14 REPLIES
Regular
Message 2 of 15
Message 2 of 15

Re: Muting myself when in-call with someone

@Sethuna wrote:

Does anyone have this issue where...

I have the same issue Slightly frowning Face  mute, loudspeeker, task bar... thanks for not sending messages to everyone in the phone book...

Message 3 of 15
Message 3 of 15

I suggest to open Settings --> Support --> Xperia Tests and start the proximity sensor test.

Then put the phone to your ear a few times and see if the sensor recognizes your ear everytime.

If it does it might be a software-related issue (e.g. the sensor activating not fast enough) which could be fixed with an update.

I didn't encounter this issue during the last 2 months, but ,to be honest, I don't have phone calls very often.

Message 4 of 15
Message 4 of 15

@Sethuna wrote:

Does anyone have this issue where the proximity sensor sometimes (most of the times for me) "misses" and your screen turns on while you talk and the mute button is pressed accidentally by the ear? I know it sounds weird but it happens to me frequently  I run the phone tests and everything seems to be working fine but I don't know what it is. I never had this issue on my old XZ and it seems that the XZ3 proximity sensor (while the depth field is fine) has a narrower range/field. Could that be the issue? 

Yes, I do suffer the same issue, but for me it's only been doing it since last software update.

As there's a few of us with this, I'm going to escalate it to the support staff and see if we can get some more information.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Learner
Message 5 of 15
Message 5 of 15

Yes, I have this problem too! I've also ran the proximity sensor test and it seems to work fine.

Rookie
Message 6 of 15
Message 6 of 15

yes i have the same issue too , in my case not only mute buttons got activated . Switch SIM option was also activated and ended  up calling on international roaming number and paid hefty phone bill ... 

Too bad 

Adept
Message 7 of 15
Message 7 of 15

Do you guys think this is software related or did Sony just put a bad sensor on the XZ3? Because if it's hardware related it's pretty much hopeless to wait for a fix. 

Message 8 of 15
Message 8 of 15

I'm pretty sure it's a software issue, as when you run the proximity sensor test it works fine.

One time poster
Message 9 of 15
Message 9 of 15

Re: Microphone

happens to me too, i told the support 3x times but they didnt help me at all.

My case is when im talking and tilt (like tiny 5%) the phone then the screen lights up or sometimes hold it for like 1-3cm from the ear and the screens lights up, and my ears touch the micOFF button without me knowing it and beacuz the screen doesnt black out and sometimes my ear touch the End Call button also. Or accident touch the Wifi curtains and it rolls down during a call, my friends cant here me, but can here them.

im done with it, gonna switch back to iphone , it will take ages before Sony discover the problems or admit theres a problem.

Still like the xz3 design thoug

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 10 of 15
Message 10 of 15

Re: Microphone

I have this problem. During mid conversation you hear the person on the other end going hello hello hello and you then realise you have been talking to yourself, most annoyingPouting Face