account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobile World Congress 2019

Sonys Press conference from MWC took place end of February
If you missed it you can watch it here.
Please join the discussion here and share your thoughts on what was anounced here. MWC 2019 discussion.

MAC Randomization features missing?

Apprentice
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

MAC Randomization features missing?

Anyone else unable to use the Mac address randomization features on the xz3? The option is supposedly added to Android pie but I think maybe Sony pulled it from this ROM? It should be listed either in the UI somewhere or Dev options beneath networking.

I am running the 52.0.A.3.84 release that dropped today.  PIXEL devices have this for sure in Dev tools but that is just missing on this device. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Apprentice
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: MAC Randomization features missing?

Can anyone point me in the direction of the a feature enhancement request form? Would I needed to contact support directly to get this feature considered,  as it should be implemented in pie releases. 

Apprentice
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Still missing in the latest build 52.0.A.3.126

Pioneer
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

On Pixel you can randomise, not on Xperia.

Some thoughts why it maybe isn't activated in Xperia.

1. You pair two devices. The devices remember each other's MAC addresses for future automatic connections.
  2. The MAC address on one of the devices gets changed by the system without warning/broadcast/developer notification
  3. Your devices can no longer pair without forgetting their old connection group. Additionally, advertised MAC address will be incorrect until the old connection group is purged.
  4. Randomising is promblem inviting.

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't
One time poster
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

Please don't give excuse to Sony for lazy implementation.

MAC address randomization is essential for privacy. It should be a a toggle option and on by default.

You should be able to set per SSID settings for randomization for both WiFi and bluetooth.

There is absolutely no problem with this behaviour, just give the choice to the user FFS.

Pioneer
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

No, it isn't there and it will not be there.

Unless you have rooted your device.

Simple as that.

It's Android, not Sony, not Huawei, not Nokia.

Android

Besides, you won't need MAC address spoofing unless you're involved in ultra secret affairs.

The only interest the world has in you and me is targeting advertising to create the flow of money, be it by clicking or by buying.

Websites have a profit model based on clicking.

Don't dive into the dark end of the web and no-one will be interested in you.

We are objects that can generate money, that's all.

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't