account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Is this normal XZ3 build quality?

Message 11 of 23
Message 11 of 23

Re: Is this normal XZ3 build quality?

Googling S7,s8,S9,note8,note9 light bleed yeilds thousands of results, all same thing in common, it's at the edge of the curved glass.

Make of that what you will but it seems to be VERY common on curved oled displays.

I have no doubts at all, that the IP rating and the unit seals are still intact, and yes, my XZ3 does have it too, it just won't ever affect me as I don't use my phone in a way it will be visible.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Inhabitant
Message 12 of 23
Message 12 of 23

That is just light being refracted from the screen to the edge of the tapered glass. It's not a crack and your phone is completely fine. 

Inhabitant
Message 13 of 23
Message 13 of 23

Install a pressure application then press on the phone. if the pressure rises, then your phone has no problems. If you firmly press it and no increase in pressure whatsoever, then you have a gap that lets air "fly out"

One time poster
Message 14 of 23
Message 14 of 23

I don't see the issue. 

Learner
Message 15 of 23
Message 15 of 23

IMG-fcee63ebc8a2b953dd4b197f52ff5fab-V.jpg

What about the gap between the screen and the telephone body

Enthusiast
Message 16 of 23
Message 16 of 23

I can´t see any light "coming out" with your photo.

Seems that you are trying to make negative PR.

Apprentice
Message 17 of 23
Message 17 of 23

Just got an XZ3. There indeed are gaps between the screen and the body, those are NOT reflections. The best way to see it is to set the brightness to max, open settings/ white background and view the phone from its sides in a DARK room. Someone needs to confirm if this compromises the waterproofing of the phone 

Highlighted
Message 18 of 23
Message 18 of 23

@MetalDaRyl2 wrote:

Just got an XZ3. There indeed are gaps between the screen and the body, those are NOT reflections. The best way to see it is to set the brightness to max, open settings/ white background and view the phone from its sides in a DARK room. Someone needs to confirm if this compromises the waterproofing of the phone 

But light doesn't emit from the rear of sides of oleds, LCDs yes, seeing light through gaps indicates light leak, oleds are forward facing light only.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Apprentice
Message 19 of 23
Message 19 of 23

Sorry, i was partly wrong. I read that the light is due to reflection and visible at extreme angles because of the gaps. Do you think this compromises the waterproofing?

Inhabitant
Message 20 of 23
Message 20 of 23

It's light refracting from the edge of the glass.

No light bleed, no gaps, still water proof.