account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Gorilla Glass 5 is not as strong as expected

Adept
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

Gorilla Glass 5 is not as strong as expected

Less than 1 week with XZ3, it said it has Gorilla Glass 5 to protect the screen from scratch. And I leave it without any screen protector and now there are many scratches on the screen. Normal use I put it in my pocket, clean it with microfiber. Conclusion, Gorilla Glass 5 is easily scratch and doesn't do what it has to do

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Re: Gorilla Glass 5 is not as strong as expected

I'm afraid you might have wrong expectations for Gorilla Glass 5.

GG5 has not been developed to be extremely scratch resistant, but rather to be especially resistant against drops. It still is good against scratches but not as good as former Gorilla Glass compositions.

If scratch resistance would be the main goal then Sapphire Glass would be used, but this would shatter when the phone is dropped. GG5 prefers scratches rather than a shattered screen.

While we users would like to have a scratch-resistant and shatterproof screen these two properties don't go well together because the first requires a hard material while the second requires a soft material.

https://www.corning.com/gorillaglass/worldwide/en/glass-types/gorilla-glass-5.html

I use a screen protector to prevent scratches.

Adept
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

At least other brand which has the same GG5 has better protection against scratches. And I finally sold my XZ3, not a real flgaship for me

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

How does a phone with the same glass have better protection? 

Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

@sangprabv wrote:

At least other brand which has the same GG5 has better protection against scratches. And I finally sold my XZ3, not a real flgaship for me

No they don't, a quick Google search shows that to be a false claim.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.