account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Gesture based navigation

Learner
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

Gesture based navigation

I noticed there Sony did not incorporate the gesture navigation which comes with Android Pie, and as a result a large portion of the screen is basically wasted since it contains the navigation buttons.

This is really dissapointing to me, especially since I specifically bought the XZ3 for the fact that it came with Pie right out of the box. Definitely expected it to also have the functionality which Pie offers, instead of just an Oreo interface running on the Pie engine...

The new recent apps style was also not adopted.

Is there any chance that there will be an update addressing these issues?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: Gesture based navigation

Hi @saulbellow

I don´t anything about gestures navigation, but you have Side Sense that gives you some gestures controls and interface, along with AI to give the apps you need the most according to time, day, etc.

If not mistaken, only Google Pixels and Essential pones support gestures navigation. 

This is a user-based global forum. So please, write in english! By doing so, it can be well received and monitored.
If the problem is solved, mark it as a solution so others can know Grinning Face
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

I am not sure why Sony did not integrate this. This is one of the biggest things to come with Pie and not implementing this kind of feels like HUAWEI who did not decide to include notification actions like in their EMUI. It feels not thought through and when a certain amount of people react to this I feel the company should give some feedback. Maybe it comes with the new launcher they were promising? But right now I feel more towards the Pixel 3 because the good ol Android navigation doesnt cut it for me.

Highlighted
Learner
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

As has been mentioned by many people, Side Sense activates way too many times when I don't want it to, and way to little when I do want it to, so it is not really an option for me.

OnePlus has gesture based navigation with their implementation of Pie, so it is definitely not restricted to Google phones.

One time poster
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

Intuitive Navigation is missing in XZ3

I have Xperia XZ3 with Android P installed on it. But the intuitive Navigation feature is missing. Still it has the navigation like Oreo.

Does someone have the same or is there a setting I can change?

Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

Re: Intuitive Navigation is missing in XZ3

there's currently no gesture navigation available on XZ3.
Visitor
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

Re: Intuitive Navigation is missing in XZ3

Now that the new X1, X 10, and X 10 Plus have been released and all sport the pill and gesture navigation, hopefully the xz3 will get this option within a future update. It would be a little ridiculous to exclude them on to flagship devices and then put them on another flagship and tell mid-range phones.