account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Do not find HDR content in Amazon Video on my XZ3

Inhabitant
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

Do not find HDR content in Amazon Video on my XZ3

Hi everyone!

Even though the XZ3 is HDR capable, I cannot FIND 4K content in the Amazon video app on my XZ3. I only find the regular HD versions (without HDR obviously). However, I can PLAY these UHD HDR videos in the app on the XZ3, when I save the links to them in my watchlist (from my LG OLED TV where I can find UHD content) and stream the videos from there.

Is there any way to find the UHD content directly from my XZ3?

Btw, I experienced the same on my old XZ Premium, which is officially certified for UHD playback on Amazon. 

10 REPLIES 10
Pioneer
Message 2 of 11
Message 2 of 11

Re: Do not find HDR content in Amazon Video on my XZ3

Hi @laertes2222;

As far as I know the XZ3 is not able to play 4K UHD content, but to be sure simply go to a youtube video that you know has 4K definition available and see if you can select more then 1080p definition.

Regarding the XZ Premium I can see in Amazon Prime UHD videos, first you have to select a UHD video in the Home selection screen (there is a section only with UHD videos), then for that video to play in UHD you must have good network speed as the app will select the definition depending on your network quality.

Also there is a diference in UHD content HDR content; you can see not UHD content but in HDR search youtube for HDR content.

Inhabitant
Message 3 of 11
Message 3 of 11

Hi !

Thanks for your reply. Here in Germany I do not find this section (I have it in the app on my 4k tv). On YouTube I can play 1440p hdr videos. 

But as I stated above, however, I can PLAY uhd videos in the Amazon app. It even shows 'uhd' in the app when the video plays. I just can not find these video - the uhd versions of them to be more precise.

Inhabitant
Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

Btw, I don't want 4k but the hdr part of uhd. Unfortunately, you can't get one without the other...

Inhabitant
Message 5 of 11
Message 5 of 11

Amazon doesn't provide hdr content,  4k only,  Netflix does though , if you upgrade your subscription .

Pioneer
Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

@laertes2222;

According to the help section of the Amazon Video app you probably must have a UHD compatible device to have the UHD videos section available.

Pioneer
Message 7 of 11
Message 7 of 11

@Davelad;

Amazon Video does support HDR, see the help section of the app with details with the types of HDR it supports. 

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

The xz3 is uhd compatible, I have watched content on amazon in 4k, according to their faq I read thigh,  hdr is not yet supported. 

Inhabitant
Message 9 of 11
Message 9 of 11

After a bit of googling it seems they do support it , but they don't mark it up as hdr, you literally have to play whatever you're watching and cross your fingers.

Inhabitant
Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

Thank you for your replies. Seems that Amazon is simply not really interested in providing decent hdr support...