account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Android 9

Inhabitant
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

Android 9

I'm so happy with my purchase, the XZ3 is brilliant.

There's one thing that disappointed me though... I was expecting to have a new experience with the Android 9, but it looks and feels exactly like Android 8 on my XZ Premium. There is apparently no reason to upgrade since there are no new gesture controls, wellbeing and all the other snazzy new Android 9 functions.

When will the phone be actually and fully upgraded to Android 9?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Enthusiast
Message 2 of 11
Message 2 of 11

Re: Android 9

yes, indeed it's a fully fledged version of Android 9. Sony decided not to implement the gestures functions (yet). Go to system, about my phone and check yourself. Latest kernel, latest security updates (October 2018). Nevertheless it would be great to see another evolution of the Sony Xperia Home Launcher (come on Sony: You just renewed the camera app, the Home App needs a new painting as well)

Inhabitant
Message 3 of 11
Message 3 of 11

I know it's technically Android 9, but you can't see the kernel or the security updates...

The OS looks dated and exactly like my one year old Android 8 Xperia XZ Premium and it's so disappointing since the hardware on the XZ3 is beautiful.

Is there a Sony rep that can confirm when we will have the Android 9 experience like on the ugly new Pixel? 

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

Screenshot_20181011-135454.png

Inhabitant
Message 5 of 11
Message 5 of 11

Sgiesen78, what is this? 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

about phone screen on my XZ3

Inhabitant
Message 7 of 11
Message 7 of 11

I don't see the screenshot for some reason, it only shows some triangle.

The XZ3 came shipped with Android 9, so I can't imagine it saying anything else in your about screen... There are no functions from Android 9 included though. If you don't know what Android 9 looks like, search youtube for videos with the Pixel3. The XZ3 on the other hand feels exactly like Android 8. Or even 7 or 6...

Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

@Lukalumen wrote:

There are no functions from Android 9 included though.

that's not true. you receive pretty much all Android Pie features except for those that are currently exclusive to the Pixel line (like Digital Wellbeing). you still get the new adaptive brightness and adaptive battery for example, as well as the UI tweaks that landed on Pie. the lack of gestures is probably caused by Xperia Home not being compatible with them, but Sony has already stated a while ago that they're rewriting the Home app.

just because the new UI isn't drastically different from the one in previous OS version doesn't mean you're not getting any new features. and keep in mind that most people tend to get used to the workflow and the user interface, so getting a completely new UI after an update is a disadvantage for them. think about teaching your mom or your grandma about using their phone and then having to start all over again because everything looks different and they need to learn the new way of navigating the UI.

Inhabitant
Message 9 of 11
Message 9 of 11

You're right, the problem seems to be Google making their best software advances exclusive to Pixels. This is Apple behaviour and I hope they won't end up alienating other brands using Android.

Some of these we'll be able to sideload I guess and hope. For now I found a cool app on Play store that replaces the old and tired navigation buttons with gesture controls. It's called "Navigation Gestures" by the reputable XDA...

As far as people getting used to things, sure, but then you offer a switch that lets you try both and with time people get used to the new ways.

Rookie
Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

Hi, I just got the update on my XZ2c and am a little disappointed too. I read about the remake of the home app and really also hope they bring back tap to wake (and sleep). Still missing that so much from my Z2c... Keep tapping my new one constantly :'D