account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

XZ2 bootloop after android P update (Model H8276)

Adviser
Message 11 of 26
Message 11 of 26

Re: XZ2 bootloop after android P update

I got my old Samsung Note 4 to take a pic of the corrupt message. Here it is. 

Do you reckon the h8276 model was left out of this official release by mistake (since it was not permitted on the android P beta) and someone forgot to re-enable it before pushing this rollout?  If so, I hope Bell/Sony is listening and quickly rollback this OTA update for h8276 on US, Canadian or actually global carriers or there will be more bricked phones so long as this update remains as the latest update for people formating/repairing their Canadian Xz2's. 

20181017_011001.jpg

Message 12 of 26
Message 12 of 26

@Knnstr

Just to make sure, you didn't unlock you bootloader before? Also I assume the 2nd repair process was done without success? 

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Sage
Message 13 of 26
Message 13 of 26

Are you running the latest version of the Xperia Companion?

Adviser
Message 14 of 26
Message 14 of 26

No, bootloader was never unlocked and the second and third repair attempts failed as well.

Xperia companion had an update available when I launched it (I haven't used it in awhile)  So when I used it for this Xz2 repair it is the latest. 

EDIT: screen cap of the version here.  Its the latest as of today. Version 2.2.5.0

Capture2.JPG

Message 15 of 26
Message 15 of 26

@Knnstr

It's the time to contact support then, as you said either Sony or Bell. Your other option is to flash an older firmware using Flashtool and a downloaded FTF file.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Highlighted
Sage
Message 16 of 26
Message 16 of 26

I just noticed that it said Copyright 2008-2016 in one of the first pictures, and that indicated that the program perhaps was not the latest.

For a last test, I would download from SonyMobile and install Xperia Companion on another computer (that never have had the software installed before) and try again to do a software repair.

Adviser
Message 17 of 26
Message 17 of 26

Ok I will give it another go this morning (EDIT: still does not work after redoing the flash with a different PC) and will call support when their lines are open. 

I just want to still be able to get security updates going forward. 

Any other Canadian Xz2 users on here experiencing the same issue? 

Adviser
Message 18 of 26
Message 18 of 26

I found a very interesting behavior.  If the Sim Tray is removed the phone restarts and boots into Android P without a problem.  But if I have the sim tray plugged in, with or without a SIM the bootloop happens.  Please note: if I reflash back to Android O, the device boots without a problem with and/or without SIM in.  Looks like a compatibility issue between my carrier & the android P software.

I have updated my original thread with timeline of events and summary of troubleshooting steps taken and observations.

Sage
Message 19 of 26
Message 19 of 26

Glad you got some progress.

You say that with Pie installed, the bootloop happens with or without a SIM as long as the simtray is in?

-That should point to a problem with the tray itself or connector, not carrier/SIM?

Is there a memorycard in the same tray?

Adviser
Message 20 of 26
Message 20 of 26

@Runej

You missed that the tray works in Android O. Tray only affects Android P.

No SD card in all scenarios