account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

XZ2 Not Charging Unless Restarted

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 1 of 2
Message 1 of 2

XZ2 Not Charging Unless Restarted

Hello,

I've been plugging my XZ2 into the USB-C port of my work laptop.  I will get the prompt for charging options.  However, whether I chose "Transfer Files," or "Just charge the device," the phone would not charge, and continue to drain.  One night, I restarted the phone before plugging in, and when I did plug the phone in, it began to charge with either option.  Tonight, it was the same thing:  the phone would not charge until I restarted the phone.

What is preventing the phone from charging when plugged into my laptop without a restart?  It never has a problem when I plug it into an electrical outlet (althought I use a USB-A to USB-C cable for that instance).

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Message 2 of 2

Re: XZ2 Not Charging Unless Restarted

@Phoenix_Audubon

Normal USB outlets on your laptop will supply a really low current to your mobile (500mA), and if your phone is already consuming more power than that it will actually drain while plugged.

By restarting your phone, you eliminate all the processes that are running in the background, thus reducing battery consumption to its minimum. In this scenario, the 500mA is more than the consumption and your phone will appear to be charging.

Use a USB-3 port better, this will provide 900mA instead. You can identify it from the blue colour inside.

Some laptops are equipped with a dedicated charging USB port (DCP) that will provide more than the normal USB outlets (around 1500mA) that will charge more efficiently and will even work while your laptop is sleeping.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.