account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Understanding Xperia XZ2 power specs for charger purchase

SOLVED
Adviser
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Understanding Xperia XZ2 power specs for charger purchase

Hi everyone,

I'd like to ask about the charging specs on XZ2. Specifically, what is the maximum allowed charging power for this phone, wired and wireless. So I can purchase additional charging kits.

Wired:

The original fast charger has label as this:

Input: 100-240V~400 mA, 50-60 Hz

Output: 5 V 2.7A DC,  9V 1.8 A DC,  12 V 1.35 A DC    ->   13.5 W, 16.2 W, 16.2 W

So do I have to buy charging kits that matches these output exactly? Or these are just the maximum allowed power? They are outputing different powers though so I really don't understand.

Wireless:

The official charging dock WCH20 has label:

Input: 9V/1800mA(Max)

Output: up to 9 W.

This is the only information I can speculate, from the official dock. I am not sure if 9W is the maximum allowed power for the phone, or just the supported power by the dock.

Also is XZ2 using Qi 2.0 or 3.0 standard for wireless charging? They have different power specs. 

Really appreciate your help.

Technique question: Why does the official charger have 3 different power combinations? Is there a "smart" circuit that matches the charger output to the current phone battery voltage? If that's the case the wireless charging would only need to match one of the 3 power specs right?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: Understanding Xperia XZ2 power specs for charger purchase

You can use any charger you like, the base output for USB is 5V DC 500mA. 

If the charger is capable of providing higher output then the phone is requesting it based on its current state of battery (charge level, temperature).

The phone will charge the battery with high power when the charge level is low and then switch to lower power when the battery is almost fully charged. If the battery becomes hot then the phone will use less power to charge. So yes, as you suspected, there is a smart circuit in the phone which only takes the power it needs. So you don't need to worry about too high power from the charger but if the power the charger provide is lower then charging takes longer (which is better for the battery, by the way).

Sony is using "Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 3.0", so if you select a charger which is specified for this standard then it can utilize the full quick-charging capabilities. If you don't care about quick charging then you don't need to care at all, any charger will do.

For Wireless Charging, Sony uses the Qi standard with quick charging of up to 9W.

For this you'll need a charging plate which can utilize 9W and a wall charger to provide 9V/1800mA.
If these requirements are matched then quick charging is possible (but still depending on compability) otherwise the phone will be charged at the ususal speed.

My recommendation is: Use a simple wireless charger and slowly charge the phone overnight. No need to buy special equipment, I've never felt the need to quick-charge my phone, especially not the XZ2 with its great battery life because it always lasts until evening, no matter what I do.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

You can use any charger you like, the base output for USB is 5V DC 500mA. 

If the charger is capable of providing higher output then the phone is requesting it based on its current state of battery (charge level, temperature).

The phone will charge the battery with high power when the charge level is low and then switch to lower power when the battery is almost fully charged. If the battery becomes hot then the phone will use less power to charge. So yes, as you suspected, there is a smart circuit in the phone which only takes the power it needs. So you don't need to worry about too high power from the charger but if the power the charger provide is lower then charging takes longer (which is better for the battery, by the way).

Sony is using "Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 3.0", so if you select a charger which is specified for this standard then it can utilize the full quick-charging capabilities. If you don't care about quick charging then you don't need to care at all, any charger will do.

For Wireless Charging, Sony uses the Qi standard with quick charging of up to 9W.

For this you'll need a charging plate which can utilize 9W and a wall charger to provide 9V/1800mA.
If these requirements are matched then quick charging is possible (but still depending on compability) otherwise the phone will be charged at the ususal speed.

My recommendation is: Use a simple wireless charger and slowly charge the phone overnight. No need to buy special equipment, I've never felt the need to quick-charge my phone, especially not the XZ2 with its great battery life because it always lasts until evening, no matter what I do.

Adviser
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

Thank you @skycamefalling.

Your explanation is exactly what I am seeking. 

Just two clarification questions:

1. The base output you mentioned 5V DC 500 mA, where do you get that information? (not trying to be a jerk, just curious if I missed that somewhere in the published specs)

2. For quick wireless charing to work, do I need exactly 9W + 9V/1800 mA output? I am very curious that all 3rd party quick chargers state that they only support 10W for Samsung and 7.5W for iPhone X. But if they are all Qi 3.0, why not supporting Sony? Will the voltage/current combination actually dictates how the phone receives power?

I fully agree with you on using regular charging speed. I probably will buy a regular wireless charging pad with 5W adapter. Better to be on the safe side than pushing fast charging.

Again, thanks a lot for your detailed help. 

Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

Hi,

ad 1: A long time ago when USB 1 ports were around, someone agreed on power standards.

They identified "Low-power devices" (such as keyboard, mouse aso.) and "High-power devices" (such as external Harddrives aso.).

The high-power specification was fixed with 500mA @5V (=2.5W) so any supplier of external hardware knew that the device may take up to 500mA and any computer producer knew that the USB ports must supply at least 500mA. 

Therefore the lowest power you can get with a wall charger is 500mA @5V.
Maybe you can remember the time where some external harddrives required 2 USB connections because they needed more power than one USB port could provide?

Anyway, nowadays you'll hardly find any charger which only provides so little power, usually they have 1 to 2.5A @5V. Quickchargers also can provide higher Voltages in addition to the 5V output.

ad 2: That I don't know, sorry, but I suspect that if the charger and the charging plate provide 10W then the Xperia will only take 9W maximum. The phone requires the right Voltage but the Ampere will vary during the charging cycle, anyhow. So any fast wireless charger with Qi standard should do the trick as long as the wall charger can deliver enough power.

PS. I have a Samsung Fast Wireless Charger here and tried putting the XZ2 on it but I couldn't see any  increase of charging speed. The fact that Sony doesn't show the current charging state (fast/normal) in its phone software doesn't help at all. Samsung phones tell you when they are being quick charged, Xperias don't Slightly frowning Face

Inhabitant
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

Just briefly where is such a document with this information available from Sony for H8324?

Adviser
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

Most information on Xperia is only found on its Specification page. For more specific questions you have to chat with a customer representative and hopefully they could answer that for you. 

For charing standards, you can always find documentation on their websites and some wikipedia sites.

Hope that helps.

Adviser
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

Just an update for anyone still interested,

I bought a QC3.0 adapter and a wireless charging pad supporting QC3.0 (only for apple and Samsung). Yeah as both Sony and the charging pad company states, QC will not work with Xperia XZ2. You only get normal or even slower charging speed and sometimes the phone gets heated up a little.

So, 3rd party wireless charging is still a valid option if you just want the convenience of placing your phone on your night stand and forget about it. But you cannot get QC speed and have to wait for a long time for your phone to charge up.

Highlighted
Adept
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

Quick question, does your wireless charger automatically stop charging once the XZ2 reaches 100%?