account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Pleasing Design from Sony..But..

Commissioner
Message 21 of 39
Message 21 of 39

Re: Fingerprint placement position

Personally I find the new design quite elegant and minimalistic but the BIGGEST error Sony done is the back placed fingerprint reader: it is unusable because rear mounted (and blinded for eyes) and bad positioned, very very difficult to reach with fingers. Back FPR is UNUSABLE and unconfortable, nothing compared to the perfect side position of previous models. With side mounted one the device unlock without hold it, simply press the power button diretcly on he table for example. Personally, Sony should reconsider it, immediately at IFA!

The power button on XZ2 shoud be far far better if iconic and elegant ROUNDED as on XA2 serie.

2.5D glass on front is another big error considering it reflects the light into curved sides becoming very very annojing especially under sunlight or open spaces (but also indoor). Flat glass, as in XZ1, should have been more useful, practical and beautiful because perfectly continuing with frame without step.

Removal of 3.5 mm jack is another step back from Sony, brand how focus more on audio quality. Wireless headphone as a significant delay between images displayed and relative associated dialogs (into videos) and high compressed audio (into musics).

I hope someone of Sony Japan could read all these our comments and concerns and considering modify the new design focusing on the functionality, especially FPR.

Inhabitant
Message 22 of 39
Message 22 of 39

Re: Pleasing Design from Sony..But..

I don't care about the headphone plug... I use dustplug on my xz1... What I don't like about xz2 is the camera and finger print is too low... They should put it higher up, just not too close with each other tho... And while they switched fingerprint to back they didn't add double tap to open... 

Adviser
Message 23 of 39
Message 23 of 39

I'm holding on to my Z3+ and hope it'll last long. No more 3.5mm jack, no more radio, no ant+ support. The first 2, I can move on to LG like most radio listeners. But ant+ support...? I'm a big fan of Xperia and never others but I might have to buy Samsung if Sony no longer willing to cater to our needs.

Adviser
Message 24 of 39
Message 24 of 39

No OLED display, no 3.5mm headphone jack, oddly place fingerprint sensor too low for comfortable and convince of use.  Disappointed at Sony after using Sony Ericsson and Sony Xperia product s for more than 15 years.

Adviser
Message 25 of 39
Message 25 of 39

You r right.!!

I am also in same thought..

Sony ericsson's phones were fantastic pieces among nokia, alcatel, etc in that era.

also previous xperias standed out from the crowd with some unique style and features... even when samsung crawls.. but today, i am afraid of sony winding up the mobile section like VAIO... 

Wait...n see.. that's it.

Commissioner
Message 26 of 39
Message 26 of 39

Re: What were they thinking by removing the lovely Jack?

@anshu18wrote:

Many of us are doing the same. I was also thinking of upgrading my xperia xz to Xz2, but removal of headphone jack is stopping me to buy. Now i am looking for some other option. Sony stubbornness will sink the xperia. 😥

Oh come on, every manufacturer is removing the headphone jack. Good luck finding a top smartphone which has one. I'm more worried about the 4GB RAM and fingerprint sensor location. The power button/sensor on the side was genius!

Adviser
Message 27 of 39
Message 27 of 39

Re: What were they thinking by removing the lovely Jack?

I know some regions do have 6gb of ram with 64gb of storage.

One time poster
Message 28 of 39
Message 28 of 39

I still use the Z2. Solid device, very well built and even the battery is still strong enough after 3 years. I am a huge fan of Digital Noise Cancelling with special earbuds (MDR-NC31) that are making those business trips more/less bearable, portably and efficiently. Generally, there are 3 issues I would whine about in Z2: battery life, bloatware and speaker loudness.
A while ago I thought that maybe it is time to upgrade and the XZ1 was at the top of the line. When scanning through the bells and whistles, the most important sales argument would still have been fast and power efficient processor (addressing the issue No 1). But instead of delivering the definite benefit of battery life to their customers, Sony has decided to put smaller battery into XZ1, claiming that it would still last a full day. Come on, one day - the term "mobile device" kinda refers, to mobility, right? So I did not upgrade.

Now back to the topic - the XZ2. First impression was that cool, they have at least put the battery back in.  But well, after discovering that now they have lost the Digital Noise Cancelling and headphone jack, there was no need for me to dig into any further specs. 

I have always liked Sony devices and they have been at the top of my shopping list because of the quality, special features, hi-fi legacy.... The squarish design was rather unique and solid, not looking like a toy, I would say. They should have sticked to that as well.
I wish a long life to my Z2 and just in case will have a look, what Oneplus 6 has to offer...

Highlighted
Commissioner
Message 29 of 39
Message 29 of 39

I've upgraded from Z2 to XZ1, knowing XZ2 is coming around... No regret. On paper, sure, Z2 looks better and 500mAh more of accu, but in real-life, I'm now sure XZ1 lives much longer than my Quad-Core Z2 used to... no more power-bank to job or bbq.. Playing WoT Z2 gave me 3-4 hours of play till accu was 29-31%, XZ1 - same time I still have 40% in bank to easly WhatsApp and instagram for rest 5 hours of the trip.
Z2 was a kick from sony, a phone friends got jealous day by day, but inside memory got short on Marshmallow leaving me with two small games and one office app + whatsapp... Well, 5 installed apps on a flagship was a joke to me, so I looked at all available phones in a reasonable price (Q2, Q3 of 2017 or older) with around 64 Gigs (P10, S7, LG G4), and XZ1 got it's last Christmas sale of 25% off in march (10 last pieces with headphones and quick-charger), With price below P10, and S7... with S8's Snapdragon inside the choice was clear and fast like TAKE MY MONEY!!
Choice Correct Winking Face

PS: Don't listen to YT video tests.. I have my XZ1 for 2 months now, I never had to charge after 12 hours of use.. The tests are like.. we open a movie, full loudness and brightness, stamina OFF and leave it for 10 hours leaving the room... no one watches YT for 6 hours non-stop, let's be honest. One episode of the season, one hbo go movie and that's all. Anyone playied a game for 8 hours? What? Don't you have a life, girl or job? Maximum SOT of  device never happens, that's why a one-day XZ1 will easily give us up to 2 days and 8 hours of standby time.

>> Xperia XZ1 user, help-ful with knowledge he has;>>
One time poster
Message 30 of 39
Message 30 of 39

Re: Fingerprint placement position

I totally agree on what you said. I'm a die-hard Sony fan as well. I used Sony phones since it was the generation of Sony Ericsson's.

When I first saw the XZ2, my heart sank cause the fingerprint sensor is on the back. It looked exactly like the other phones in the market and has lost the uniqueness of Sony. I loved my Z5 (and later XA1 Plus)'s fingerprint sensor because it's super convenient, I don't have to pick the phone up in order to unlock it using my finger. Maybe Sony can try to make the side sensor to detect fingerprints automatically like the back ones, but to place it at the back? Oh come on my love, we don't need another Xiaomi or Oppo or Vivo. Stick to your uniqueness and we will love you more.

I'm definitely not gonna buy XZ2 cause it doesn't attract me at all. Just a single fingerprint sensor and I was like, "no thanks". I don't want to buy a flagship phone that looks cheap like those budget brands. I buy Sony for it's superb camera, display, audio and sleek design, and I'm very proud to carry Sony around when it has features that nobody elses have. But now with that sensor, I'm sorry.

Hopefully Sony will bring back the side sensor in the next generation, else I might be sticking with my old Xperia for quite some time.