account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Notification Dots Not Working and Contact Photos not Full Screen (Android Oreo)

Learner
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

Notification Dots Not Working and Contact Photos not Full Screen (Android Oreo)

I can't seem to get the notification dots to show on any of my apps on my new XZ2 (e.g. Twitter, Facebook, Gmail etc.). I've enabled notification dots in the setting menu and in the individual apps, but they just will not appear.

Also, do contact photos no longer show on full screen when you make or receive a call? They used to on my Z5 with Nougat, but now on my XZ2 running Oreo the dialler screen just has a small round icon showing the caller picture.

Any help would be appreciated with either of these issues.

4 REPLIES 4
Pioneer
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Re: Notification Dots Not Working and Contact Photos not Full Screen (Android Oreo)

Hello @Fritzromanov;

You should get notification dots but in some apps like the ones you describe you only get the dot but not with the number in it like in Nougat, just simply a blue dot.

Regarding the caller display it is as you describe in Oreo, you can see how it work in this short Sony video:https://youtu.be/dMGAknpu1rM.

The notifications are as this image:Já chegou!

Discover Xperia XZ Premium, now rolling out Android™ 8.0 Oreo: http://bit.ly/XperiaXZPremium_AndroidO For more on Xperia devices receiving this update: http://bit.ly/Xperia_AndroidO Android™ 8.0 Oreo on Xperia makes the little things easier, because life is hectic enough. Get useful suggestions ...
Learner
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

Re: Notification Dots Not Working and Contact Photos not Full Screen (Android Oreo)

Thanks for the reply Nuno, only it hasn't answered my questions unfortunately.

I know that the notification dots appear just as dots, rather than the previous discs with numbers in, but my issue is that they're not appearing by the app icons at all. When I have an unread message in Messenger or interactions from Facebook or Twitter etc. I'm not seeing the blue dot, despite having all the correct permissions enabled.

The caller ID change is disappointing for me, I preferred it when a full-screen picture appeared. Hopefully Sony will change this in future Xperia software iterations.

Pioneer
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

Hi again @Fritzromanov;

Please have in account that the notification dots or even notifications for interactions in Facebook, Messenger and Tweeter does not appear in Oreo like in Nougat, however you can test it with Gmail, you should recieve a notification and the respective dot each time you recieve an email, if not, test it in safe mode to see if it is caused by a third party app.

Learner
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

Just tried, no notification dots on Gmail app. Not using a 3rd party app for mail.

Seems silly that they should remove a useful feature and replace it with something that doesn't work.