account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

How waterproof sony xperia xz2 realy is?

SOLVED
Learner
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

How waterproof sony xperia xz2 realy is?

To users and officials

Dear ALL, 

I was realy glad and happy to get my new XZ2 phone, with IP68, and hoping to take pictures underwater as I did with my xperia Z2 and Z3+, and I read about it now, and see that althou it is even better rated (IP68), not that it only states I should not use it under water, but I should not even put it completly under water, and to firmly close all ports, and as we all know, charger area has no cover at all, I am dissapointed, and want to see what other long time users of sony xperia think about that, as well as some kind of explanation from officials why they make this phone in a way that it is not better from ther earlier experia's, and why they brag with that IP68 if it is not near as waterproof as it should be. Thaks

Screenshot_20180531-153952.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Genius
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: How waterproof sony xperia xz2 realy is?

@Dzapi as you mention it is NOT Waterproof but Water Resistant.....Sony actually brought/changed this category a little while back.....personally I can't understand why anyone would actually want to risk immersing such an expensive item underwater but each to their own

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Genius
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

@Dzapi as you mention it is NOT Waterproof but Water Resistant.....Sony actually brought/changed this category a little while back.....personally I can't understand why anyone would actually want to risk immersing such an expensive item underwater but each to their own

View solution in original post

Learner
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

Well I agree in that one @dandy63, I do not want to risk it now, but since 1st xperia, they (SONY) wanted us to do that, and I always beleaved that sony is not same lame/just fancy company (like samsung and iphone) witch sell their phones just because of their name, and because they "are in" at this moment, I always got xperia phone, because I knew they are the best quality phones, I do not care about anything else, I still want to feel that way, but how can I, when only company that realy changed that policy, even when we all remember that adds with underwater pictures, is sony, and I just cant shake that feeling I did not got "best phone", as I did so many times before when I held new experia in my hands

One time poster
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

אני לא ΧžΧ¦ΧœΧ™Χ— לא׀ב אΧͺ Χ”Χ˜ΧœΧ€Χ•ΧŸ Χ©ΧœΧ™

I can not reset my phone

GT

Adept
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

It's because alot of users find their phones are dead because of this "misunderstanding" feature

For me it's for protection if you accidentally drop your phone in water

But people use it for underwater photography, and when their phones are dead, they blame Sony for this 

Be a smart user, it's just a smartphone and electronic device

You should not sink them in the water for any reason

Btw you can check Pressure sensor through app or the code to make sure it's safe to sink into water

Inhabitant
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

Unfortunately, I do understand their decision. IP68 is the standard for protection against water. However  this is just tap water, but not chlorine swimming pool water nor sea water. Plus people are starting to put their phone in stupid stuff like acid or boiling soup and requesting warranty which of course will not happend.  It is impossible for Sony to test even 1% of these liquids. 

I myself has taken the phone to places like spa and sea, and I could tell you, they do oxidise the USB port making it unchargable. You will need a pin or paperclip to clean the rust off and it will be charging again. 

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

πŸ˜‚ I used my Xz2 for photo + video underwater for a few minutes. Same goes to my XZ. Still in good condition. XZ already 2 yrs, and Xz2 7mths. I test the waterproof just after I buy it. XD_20190415_005606.JPG