account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Build updates

Highlighted
Talent
Message 1 of 17
Message 1 of 17

Build updates

Yesterday I purchased a Sony XZ2 handset. The first thing I always do after receiving a new device, is to update a handset. The update process took an age, as when received it was on 51.1.A.3.159 and rather than updating once to the most current build of 51.1.A.11.51, I had to install 5 updates! Surely this is not the best solution Sony can come up with?

51.1.A.3.159

51.1.A.4.173

51.1.A.4.225

51.1.A.4.265

51.1.A.11.26

51.1.A.11.51

I have passed the feedback onto Sony UK.

16 REPLIES 16
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 17
Message 2 of 17

Re: Build updates

Hi @huggons, congratulations on your new device.

This is how updates work on Android, you can't install the latest available update directly, so you'll need to do them one by one. As far as I know this is not Sony specific, but I will make sure to forward your feedback internally.

If you are ever in the same situation again and that you have a lot of updates to do a newly purchased the device, you can save some time by doing a software repair using Xperia Companion. This will delete all data stored on the device and reinstall the latest available software version.

I hope that answers your question and have a nice weekend! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Inhabitant
Message 3 of 17
Message 3 of 17

The reason for this is that the OTA updates are incremental. Therefor they are small in size.

If you would like to have all changes that were done before then you would have to download always the whole firmware completely. Update would take longer as well as the download.

In Xperia Companion you can download the latest full firmware but you will lose your data as Jonas said.

Talent
Message 4 of 17
Message 4 of 17

Thanks so much for the insite and replies. I did speak to Sony UK  first thing this morning and the agent said that this was a fault! Looks like the agent is mistaken, given what you guys have mentioned.  I will follow this up with Sony, as I have a number of outstanding matters to discuss with them.

Cheers

Steve 

Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 17
Message 5 of 17

@z3c_user, That is correct, thank you for this explanation! Slightly smiling Face

@huggons, you are very welcome and I understand that this can be very confusing, unless you know how it works, so I'm glad me and @z3c_user were able to clear this up for you! Slightly smiling Face

I hope everything works out for you with the UK support and let me know if there is anything I can assist you with!

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Talent
Message 6 of 17
Message 6 of 17

Ash in Sony UK escalation team is currently investigating this, as he does not know how the update should work/pull through!

Will let you know what he says.  

Sony Xperia Support
Message 7 of 17
Message 7 of 17

Hi again @huggons, I have some more official information now and you can find it below.

You might experience that if you have bought an Xperia device that is not completely new, there may be a few software updates available. You can either install them one by one, and restart your device after every update, or you can perform a software repair using Xperia Companion and your device will get the latest update at once. This is Android behaviour.

This is pretty much what me and @z3c_user explained previously though, so it's not really any new information, just more of a confirmation.

Have a great evening! Slightly smiling Face

Talent
Message 8 of 17
Message 8 of 17

Thanks Jonas. Nancy at Sony UK looking into the issue now.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 9 of 17
Message 9 of 17

@huggons, you're very welcome and If you get any more information from your Local support team, feel free to share it with us! Slightly smiling Face

Have a fantastic day!

Talent
Message 10 of 17
Message 10 of 17

Still waiting for Sony "UK" to get back to me!