account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Bluetooth codec problem

Learner
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Bluetooth codec problem

When I try to connect to my car stereo (pioneer mvh-x580dab) via Bluetooth, my phone (xz2) defaults to using the aac Bluetooth codec which apparently is not supported by my car stereo, because I get no audio unless I switch to the SBC codec in developer options. This is an annoying and tideous operation that needs to be preformed every time I connect to the stereo, is there a way to set a standard codec for each Bluetooth device or similar?

I previously used the xperia xz with this stereo with no issues, so I assume it's the phone that's messing something up

7 REPLIES 7
One time poster
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: Bluetooth codec problem

You can actually change the codec? If I try to do that it changes back to another codec. I'd like to try aptx but it just won't let me, as it turns back to Aac directly. 

Learner
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

That's probably because your audio device doesn't support aptx. When I connect to my car receiver it defaults to AAC which is not supported on the receiver and I think SBC is the standard base codec all devices support. I'm sure sbc will work for you as well, but AAC Will provide higher bitrates and better quality. If I choose any other codec (on my car receiver) than sbc, I get no audio whatsoever. 

One time poster
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

I'm facing this very same issue! My previous phone (Motorola Moto Z) was connecting without problems with my Honda Civic's (2017) sound system. When I got the Xperia XZ2 things started to get weird (no sound, no music info on the display, etc) so I started to tweak the developer option and switched the codec to SBC and I got audio again on my system but in the moment I disconnect the bluetooth and reconnect it the AAC codec is used again which, of course, isn't supported by my car's sound system. I wonder why Sony just allow us the forcibly select the codec avoind the switch back to the default/optimal settings?

Now I need to use my phone plugged in via USB cabe in order to use Android Auto so I can listen my music, which is quite annoying! Please Sony help us! Slightly frowning Face

Highlighted
Learner
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

The thing is, in the description on my pioneer mvh-x580dab it says AAC is supported. I get the same problem on my gf's FH-X840DAB which is a more expensive 2-din receiver which also supports AAC. this is getting really annoying tbh... @sony help us plz

One time poster
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

Same here 🙄

One time poster
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

I dont exactly know what happens but since I updated to Android pie, I believe the codec or the quality chances automatically, at leas this happens with my MDR-1ABT, I can't tell if I get a significant drop in audio quality or if the Phone tries to modify the equalizer but it ends ruinning the awsome sound I got from my headphones, I am desperate now, so I have to tweek the audio so it matches the original sound of the headset, but also tweek again so I get normal audio for other speakers, I have the option that supposedly learns from your devices and sound use deactivated

Pioneer
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

There are two options:

• Settings -> apps & notifications -> App info -> tap 3 dots upper right corner -> show system -> scroll to Bluetooth -> tap storage -> clear cache & clear data
    • restart phone
    • pair devices and test
    • report back if it helped
  • Don't know if this applies to XZ2 too, but you can try. Some reported it helps, some say it doesn't.

Unpair both devices from each other.

1. Go to Settings -> System -> About phone -> tap multiple times on "Build number" until you enable "Developer options"
    2. Go back to Settings -> System -> Developer options -> Networking -> Bluetooth AVRCP Version -> Choose AVRCP  1.4 or 1.5
    3. Restart your phone
    4. Pair devices and test.
    5. Report back if it works or not.

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't