account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobile World Congress 2019

Sonys Press conference from MWC took place end of February
If you missed it you can watch it here.
Please join the discussion here and share your thoughts on what was anounced here. MWC 2019 discussion.

Battery is getting fatter

Rookie
Message 1 of 15
Message 1 of 15

Battery is getting fatter

Good morning and sorry for my English. Since a few days ago I am observing that the back cover and the screen are separating. I guess the battery is getting fatter and that will be the reason. The battery is inaccessible. Has it happened to anyone? It has a solution?

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Message 2 of 15
Message 2 of 15

Re: Battery is getting fatter

@Josema92

It's strongly advised to avoid charging and using your phone if you suspect a defect in your battery in order to avoid any hazards. Contact your local support and get your phone inspected by a professional.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Rookie
Message 3 of 15
Message 3 of 15

I have spoken with support and they tell me that I have to send my phone to technical service (there is nobody in my city) for review, that they will make a budget, that if I do not accept it, I have to pay an amount to get my phone back or if not what I pay are left with my terminal

This means that I stay at least a week without a phone or maybe forever

Message 4 of 15
Message 4 of 15

@Josema92

My advice is for your safety, as using or charging a phone with a defective bloated battery may increase explosion or ignition probability. It's safer to find an alternative phone for the meantime either you decide to send it or not. 

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Rookie
Message 5 of 15
Message 5 of 15

I understand what you want to tell me but the treatment that your technician has given me has been so impersonal that I would like to know the budget before sending it to the possibility that the price is so high that I am not interested since I could buy a new terminal

I need the phone for my work and I can not know how many days I will be without it or if at the end I should buy a new one

I know that the warranty period is exceeded, but it seems so strange to me that in a terminal at this level the battery is defective and do not accept any liability

Rookie
Message 6 of 15
Message 6 of 15

I can not understand that in a provincial capital in Spain there is not a Sony technical service that can take care of me

Message 7 of 15
Message 7 of 15

I don't know the warranty services Sony provides in Spain, but here in Austria there is a 2 year warranty on the phone. A non-serviceable battery which is inflated should be covered under warranty in any case.

So you can send it to the Sony support and no costs should arise for you (otherwise you should get in contact with the Consumer Protection Board or a similar organisation in Spain).

I know it's annoying to be without your phone for a while, but if there's no local service point in your area sending it for repair is the only option. Maybe you can borrow a replacement phone from someone for a while?

You could also contact the dealer where you've bought the phone, to handle the warranty case and provide you a replacement phone, this would be possible in Austria but I don't know the Spanish laws in this regard.

Rookie
Message 8 of 15
Message 8 of 15

I am glad that the procedure in Australia is like that 👏👏 but from what I have spoken with the chat service, it has not worried that it is dangerous or anything. Simply send it to the central technical service, they will look at it, they will give you a quote and if you accept it, the repair is made and if you do not have to pay 36 euros to recover your phone or leave it to Sony for recycling.

Stole

Message 9 of 15
Message 9 of 15

Not Australia. Austria. The same European market that Spain is in, the warranty regulations shouldn't be that different.

You send your phone to Sony and if the repair is covered under the warranty it doesn't cost you anything. An inflated battery is covered under warranty because it's not a user-inflicted damage like a broken screen or similar.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 10 of 15
Message 10 of 15

Hi @Josema92, sorry to hear about this. Slightly frowning Face

As both @Quester and @skycamefalling has recommended, the device will need to be examined at an authorized service centre as soon as possible and you should not use it until you send it in.

If the repair is not covered by our warranty, there will be a cost for repairing the device. You will not have to pay for the repair if it is covered by our warranty, but do note that no support agents will be able to tell you if a defect is covered by our warranty or not before the device has been examined by a trained technician at an authorized service centre.

Regarding where the service centres are located and so on, this is very tough for us to comment on as this is a Global user based forum and we don't have all information available for all markets/regions in the world.

Keep us posted on how it goes!

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.