account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Info about the DAC?

SOLVED
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

Info about the DAC?

Does anyone have any info on the DAC Sony uses on this phone? Is it a quality one or just average? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Commissioner
Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

Re: Info about the DAC?

USB 3.1 Gen1 (5Gbps)

Direct USB Type-C style headphones: USB Audio (up to 192kHz/24 bit)

support USB Type-C port, USB Audio Class 2.0 and USB Host Mode

20—40,000Hz (USB Audio, wired style)

DAC supports up to 192 KHz 16/24bit output

If you use one of those Type-C to 3.5mm adaptersADC supports up to 96KHz 16bit output with Realtek ALC chip.

10 REPLIES 10
Adviser
Message 2 of 11
Message 2 of 11

It uses the LDAC

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 11
Message 3 of 11

I'm not talking about their wireless audio codec, but the DAC inside the device that processes audio. 

Learner
Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

I don't believe Sony publishes that kind of information, but it is good enough to support HiRes audio, however, if you demand better, you can use Sony's outboard PHA-1 or the PHA3 if you're real serious audiophile.  Having had every Sony flagship since 2013, I've found the onboard barely adequate, and do hear a meaningful difference on the PHA-1 to justify the added cost and bulk, with a signigicant fidelity improvement as well as volume.  I didn't feel that the PHA-3 was worth the price tag, as it did improve, but did not gain significant performance given the price-performance differential, and or reaching the limitations of my earpiece, using Audiofly AF160 and AF180 to audition.  I feel the PHA-1 is best bang for the buck, but the added bulk is troubling.  I find I only carry it on long trips where I expect long periods on a flight or car ride.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 11
Message 5 of 11

I didn't know about these outboards, seems like a good option. You are right about the additional bulk though. It makes portability kind of hard. I just wish Sony incorporated a Quad-DAC like LG, which isn't even an audio company, does. 

Commissioner
Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

USB 3.1 Gen1 (5Gbps)

Direct USB Type-C style headphones: USB Audio (up to 192kHz/24 bit)

support USB Type-C port, USB Audio Class 2.0 and USB Host Mode

20—40,000Hz (USB Audio, wired style)

DAC supports up to 192 KHz 16/24bit output

If you use one of those Type-C to 3.5mm adaptersADC supports up to 96KHz 16bit output with Realtek ALC chip.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 7 of 11
Message 7 of 11

The razer phone USB c to 3.5mm  adapter houses a better dac set up than most, I use one with my XZ1. Prefer audio output this way than via it's built in headphone jack

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

So by using a dongle (with DAC) you disable the device's built-in DAC in favor of the added one? I didn't know that was possible. 

Message 9 of 11
Message 9 of 11

USB C  to 3.5mm dongle in box.

Uses the built in DAC of XZ2 premium

USB C to 3.5mm dongle WITH DAC, 

disables the built in DAC of XZ2 premium and uses the one in the dongle.... BUT also disables the built in audio enhancements in settings, etc DSEE HX, Clear audio+, equaliser...

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Visitor
Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

Hi! Where did you get this info from?