account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

XZ2 camera gives video only recording sound, black picture

Apprentice
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

XZ2 camera gives video only recording sound, black picture

All except 1 of my travel videos I recorded with my Xperia XZ2 compact only give sound in the playback.

When I try to import them with Vegas pro (used to be Sony software) it shows "The file is most likely corrupted or of an unknown format".

Now when I open them with VLC the video shows up. Although not all of them. Some just show a still and only the audio changes.

Googled a bit and the advice is to hack in the developper settings (which I didn't do yet).

The first two months I recorded videos, I had no problems at all with the video files. Perhaps due to the update of the Xperia software?

A deeply disappointed customer!

Used to be a big Sony fan (not any more).

Already feel very bad about this purchase. Sony promised a free headset on ordering before the 6th of april 2018. After a few months they simply decide that they changed their mind and will not sent the headset. This after more than 2 months insisting that my registration was OK and accepted and that they would sent it when it was in stock.

Sony video.jpgonly one shows imageSony video2.jpgblack screenSony video3.jpgproperties > details

6 REPLIES 6
Pioneer
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: XZ2 camera gives video only recording sound, black picture

Can you watch your videos properly using the stock album app in your phone? 

Apprentice
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

Yes, on the album app of the camera there seems to be no problem

Pioneer
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

So the problem are the codecs in your PC. Try downloading an updated codec pack or convert the video files before editing

Highlighted
Talent
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

Because of HDR?

Apprentice
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

converting all the video's is not an option. Takes too much time. I tried one by one and sometimes it's ok but most of the time not. Where are the specific video codecs?

Pioneer
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

You can use Mediainfo to find out which video codec you need, and then google it to download (I‘m sorry but I’ve a different phone model so I cannot give you more specific information).