account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

XZ2 and XZ2 Compact - Screen sensitivity issues

Pioneer
Message 41 of 112
Message 41 of 112

Re: Touchscreen precision problem

Maybe Glove Mode? (don't know if your device has it)

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't
Pioneer
Message 42 of 112
Message 42 of 112

Learner
Message 43 of 112
Message 43 of 112

Thanks, glove mode does not seem to help. And I didn't spot the other thread. Used the 🔎 engine, though ... 

Enthusiast
Message 44 of 112
Message 44 of 112

Well..the other thread was in the XZ2 Compact section though..

Since the Android P beta was made available...maybe someone daring enough to give it a try and see if this issue is still there? hmm...

Talent
Message 45 of 112
Message 45 of 112

Re: XZ2 and XZ2 Compact - Screen sensitivity issues

I dont think so, I have the same issue and it makes me sad and angry inthe same time :/

Not even gaming but even typing on screen is mostly horrible onmy XZ2 Compact Slightly frowning Face

First google it, then ask for it... Winking Face
Regular
Message 46 of 112
Message 46 of 112

I just have the latest May patches installed. The issue is still not fixed. It seems to be improved a tiny bit but most probably it's just a placebo or just because of the reboot. It's still very hard to draw tiny circles.

However, I played with the pointer location in developer options for a while and found it is not exactly an issue of sensitivity. The touch screen has no problem in registering a tap/touch and detecting tiny movements when it recognizes that. However, when I change the direction of the movement (like from going up to going down, or from going left to going right), there is a latency before the change is detected. In other words, your finger has to move a bit further before the screen recognizes the direction is different. That's the reason why drawing tiny circles is impossible, the phone thinks your finger or pen is still.

This means it must be a software bug. Probably the developers wanted to stablize the touch input but overdid it? Can any of you test if this is also true on your device?

I did contact the support. After quite a few rounds of customer service cliche (update/reboot/refresh the phone, or just request a warranty repair), they finally agreed to report it to their developers. It may still be ineffective though, IMO.

Come on, Sony developers! Please let us know if you are dealing with this issue! Don't disappoint us! Is there a better way to get in touch with Sony developers?

Rookie
Message 47 of 112
Message 47 of 112

Definitely a software issue, and definitely a matter of your finger travelling a minimum distance in ANY direction before a change of motion is actually registered .

A really easy test I discovered yesterday that really shows how it works, or doesn't work I should say, is to go to your home screen and pick an empty spot with no icons or widgets .

Slide your finger as if you were dragging a page left or right, but keep holding. Make sure the phone doesnt think you're just pressing and holding to bring up the widgets menu - you have to move the page first . Once you can move the page left and right, you can wiggle or slowly slide your finger left or right, and you can see that your finger can move a LITTLE bit on the physical glass of the screen, but the page doesn't move left or right until you move FAR enough. This means the software just is ignoring small movements. And that's why I am struggling to use volume sliders and such.

Not that it should make a difference but I'm running Evie launcher. Hope I've explained that alright!

Adviser
Message 48 of 112
Message 48 of 112

I'm having the same issues, but only when trying to scroll, navigate or select things from within certain applications. I have had no issues (as yet anyway) when scrolling within the phones own OS or when scrolling within web browsers. So It may be, (and I hope) that it's just certain apps having compatibility issues with ANDROID 8 (oreo) and is something that a minor fix or update will solve...... but then again I could be completely wrong and it could well be a Sony design flaw. I'm pretty sure there nothing wrong with the actual touchscreen as I have had problems whilst trying to scroll through an on screen menu. So I so rotated the phone 90°, 180° and 270° so I could test whilst the on screen menu was moved around 4 different areas of the screen. The problem still remained regardless of where on the screen it was.

Enthusiast
Message 49 of 112
Message 49 of 112

Probably thats the reason why google has released 8.1. there is a buffer integrated and the response time is much better in 8.1.

Asking myself when Sony is updating to 8.1 or maybe they are so busy with Android P already.

I noted this issue when i was trying to change the white balance with the sliders. its almost impossible to select a specific value when the slider first reacts when you have moved your thumb already 5mm  over the touchscreen. The slider value jumps then immediately from 50 to 60 but i would like to have 52. :/

Enthusiast
Message 50 of 112
Message 50 of 112

Well..I tried a bunch of demo units for both XZ2 and XZ2C in different stores and all of them exhibit the same phenomenon...all seem to be unable to detect slight movement....

However, all the other Xperia devices beside these models (XZ1, XZP, XA1, XA2, L2..etc) doesn't seem to act like this...

Maybe the touchscreen is too sensitive and Sony decided to ignore slight movement so that you can long hold but over did it?..hmm