account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XZ2 and XZ2 Compact - Screen sensitivity issues

Adviser
Message 1 of 107
Message 1 of 107

XZ2 and XZ2 Compact - Screen sensitivity issues

Hi there,

There's a problem with the touchscreen sensitivity in the new Sony XZ2 phones, I'm not sure how to define it, but it feels like a dead zone that moves with your finger. The phone will not detect small movements, kind of a precision problem.

I have a video and pictures to demonstrate the issue, comparing the sensibility to my other phone (Galaxy S8):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc55o-36uC4&feature=youtu.be
And a picture:

https://imgur.com/a/LIzyV

I don't think these particular units are defective, I tried the big XZ2 in a store (not the compact) and had the same issue, so we can assume most XZ2 and XZ2 compact are impacted. Let's hope it's just software.

I tried disabling and enabling the glove mode. I tried with my finger and with the pen (made the video with the pen because it's easier to see in a video). I tried two models, normal XZ2 and XZ2 Compact, with identical results. Tried while charging and without the charging cable as well.

It's not an obvious issue or easy to perceive, It just lacks precision in small and fine movements, for example while gaming.

The issue does not exist in the XZ1, so it's not "a Sony thing", the have done it right in the past, it's just affecting the new flagships.

Please help, I need to decide whether to keep my phone or return it, I need to know if Sony is aware of the issue, and if they are planning to fix it by software.

Thanks a lot in advance.
This is a test of the XZ2 Compact compared to the Galaxy S8. There's an issue with the touchscreen, and it is present on the big XZ2 as well. Current XDA threads: https://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-xz2-compact/how-to/screen-sensitivity-issue-read-game-xz2-t3775939 ...
106 REPLIES
Message 2 of 107
Message 2 of 107

Re: XZ2 and XZ2 Compact - Screen sensitivity issues

I'll forward this and see if I can find out more for you.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 107
Message 3 of 107

incovinient but interesting issue....

Is it possible to post comparison with XZ1?

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 107
Message 4 of 107

quick question. Does it happen only in a certain area of display or everywhere?

Adviser
Message 5 of 107
Message 5 of 107

Thanks for your quick replies.

@viridis thanks for your quick response.

@Jonyny It happens everywhere, and in two different models. But it's not easy to detect, you need to make really small movements, and the slower the better. If I wouldn't play games, probably it wouldn't worry me at all, I wouldn't even notice the issue.

Regarding the comparison with the XZ1, I will try to record it tomorrow. The XZ1 is not my device, my colleague from work owns it. Seeing that the XZ1 works properly gives me some hope that it will be fixed, I truly like the phone.

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 107
Message 6 of 107

thanks @CaraMuuu,

I'll wait for your post comparing with XZ1!

Regular
Message 7 of 107
Message 7 of 107

Hey there, 

Can you explain what exactly is the problem here??

Adviser
Message 8 of 107
Message 8 of 107

As you can see in the video, I'm trying to draw tiny circles on the screen. The galaxy s8 detects those small and fine movements. The XZ2  detects those as a straight line. Only tiny and delicate movements are undetected, this will not prevent you from operating the device normally, but will impact your performance when doing things like selecting text, gaming, etc.

Adviser
Message 9 of 107
Message 9 of 107

I won't be able to record a video comparing both devices, because I don't have the XZ2 anymore. I discovered a dead pixel so I decided to return it right away.

I can assure you there's no screen sensibility issue with the XZ1. If we compare the devices overall, I think the main advantage of the XZ2 is the screen. The XZ1 has a good screen, but looks dull and dark in comparison. In the XZ2 is impressive (both in the Compact and regular models). Still software is identical, performance is better in the XZ2 but equally impressive in both. I didn't test the camera but it's supposed to be better in the XZ2 (hardware wise they are the same).

When it comes to design, it's a matter of taste, I like both.

Rookie
Message 10 of 107
Message 10 of 107

I experience these sensitivity issues when dragging sliders, for instance adjusting Icon Size or Column Number in custom launchers and stuff. Making fine adjustments is impossible, you kinda have to drag the slider quickly, or further than you want it to to get the slider to "activate" and become sensitive for a short time before it becomes "sticky" again.