account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Wi-Fi looses connect after Andoid 9 update on XZ2c

Visitor
Message 2 of 24
Message 2 of 24

Wi-Fi looses connect after Andoid 9 update on XZ2c

Hi,

After performing OTA update to Android 9 Pie WiFi started to experience serios problems.

It connects to Wi-Fi routers like before, but keep constantly loosing connection. The indication in the status bar is like normal. However all apps requiring internet stop working.

In Twitter app, you can browse the tweets but when you want to update the screen you have 'Unable to get tweets at this time'

In Gmail app, you can browse emails in a folder but when you switch to other folder you will have 'Connection error, retry'

In eBay app, you may go into Bids area of the app and see your bids, but when you switch to a lot the app locks.

WiFi calling is not working.

This problem was reported many times this Summer, when Pie was available for beta download (Reddit and Google dev forums have a long list of reports). It was suggested that:

-disable\enable WiFi trick can work this out. (It cannot with XZ2c)

-disable IPv6 in router as the Pie tries to establish IPv6 connection (It is not a solution when you are not an admin of a router, but I checked on 3 networks and diffrent models by disabling IPv6- no use).

-disable WiFi discover in WiFi settings (it does not work).

-reset network settig (I did lost all my saved networks, but it did not help).

I contacted Sony Support and the only suggestions is that OTA update did not go well, so they want me to make update again via Xperia Companion. Meaning hours of backup and loosing information and settings of dozens of apps.

According to the reports (you can google "WiFi issues after Android Pie update") making factory reset is not a solution. I will try to restore the updated Android 9 via Xperia  Companion.

But this is the serious issue equal to bricking a phone that quite new yet. (((((((

23 REPLIES 23
Learner
Message 1 of 24
Message 1 of 24

Bad connection under WIFI 5Ghz with Pie

Hi, I have connectivity problems after Pie update on my phone. On Oreo both 2,4 and 5 Ghz work without any problem in every room of my house, but after the update if I walk away of the router even 5 meters it says no internet and drops out the connection. Really anoying. Anyone else has the same problem? Any suggestion? Already tried full wipe and repairing thought Sony Companion.

Thanks

One time poster
Message 3 of 24
Message 3 of 24

Re: Bad connection under WIFI 5Ghz with Pie

Hi, 

I have the same problem, worked fine until now. All other devices work without any issue. So is surely located after the last update, doesnt even need to move anywhere it just drops connection and says NO internet access, after 30sec it gets internet again.

Really frustrating when streaming to the chromecast. 

/Freddy

tmx
Adviser
Message 4 of 24
Message 4 of 24

It has nothing to do with the distance from the router. You can stay near it and you will still loose the connection.

I have the same problem. I was told by support that I need to use Xperia Companion to restore the phone to the defaults of this Pie. I have just lost 12 hours backing up and making clean installation.

The problem is not solved and they told me to bring the phone to the service.

One time poster
Message 5 of 24
Message 5 of 24

WiFi problems with Pie

Hello Forum,

I have a WiFi-issue with my XZ2 compact and the Pie update:

everytime I come to my office's WiFi it connects and immediately disconnects endlessly.

Even turning off and back on WiFi doesn't help; only completely turning the XZ2 off and on helps to stay connected. I already deleted the WiFi-network and connected it again, but still the same.

My router is an AVM Fritz!Box 6490, with latest firmware and WiFi is 2.4 & 5GHz with WPA2 encrypition.

With Oreo it was no problem!

Inhabitant
Message 6 of 24
Message 6 of 24

I have same problem after upgrade to 9

Learner
Message 7 of 24
Message 7 of 24

Re: Wi-Fi looses connect after Andoid 9 update on XZ2c

O have that problem on 5 GHz, repair throught Sony companion did not help

tmx
Adviser
Message 8 of 24
Message 8 of 24

Re: Wi-Fi looses connect after Andoid 9 update on XZ2c

I also had to install the update via Companion it did not help neither! I lost almost 3 days trying to set up WiFi on both bands but in the end I was told by Sony to bring the phone to the service.

So I flashed the previous firmwhare and I guess I will live now with that 'new software available' reminder till the phone becomes obsolete. 

Sony support does not know about this problem and they are clueless what goes wrong. 

Regular
Message 9 of 24
Message 9 of 24

I also face the same problem Crying Face, up this post, Sony should give a fixed.

Highlighted
Talent
Message 10 of 24
Message 10 of 24

My XZ2 Compact is not receiving any 5Ghz network and 2,4Ghz is laggy, sometimes it droping some apps and MHL is still not working...and by the way, battery is discharging very fast!...few of settings is missing and repair by Companion not helping... Dear Sony, Im happy with you speed of your updates but the quality...well, fix all of this please.

First google it, then ask for it... Winking Face