account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Why Sony Why???

Adviser
Message 11 of 17
Message 11 of 17

Re: Why Sony Why???

@viridiswrote:

@Wodzuwrote:

.... I've passed on XZ1 because they removed waterproofness. 

The XZ1 has the same IP rating as other Xperia handsets ip65/68

My bad, when I was looking for a new phone there was no XZ1 cpmpact on the market! I've confused it with X compact: https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z5-Z5-Compact-Z5-Premium/Z5-Compact-succesor/m-p/1220846#M3543...

Thanks for letting me know!

Visitor
Message 12 of 17
Message 12 of 17

Guess they atrrac new users, like me, with this. I really like this form. Before the compact sony's where to small for me, now it's perfect fit. Maybe the 18:9 aspect ratio is to much, but is has some advantages too with this realy excelent screen (pixel ratio).

I don't agree this is a big step backwards, for me it is step forward in compact series, all the smartphones get bigger and i think this is a nice "compromis". The hardware is almost high-end and still has a relative small form factor / frame. Maybe for your guys they have to invent a "super-compact" size ;-)

And for those other things, mini-jack  is outdated, almost obsolete technology with wireless technology's, some things get better, so you don't need the old things. Mini-jack is reliable, but bluetooth is getting better and better and you don't have to disentangle the wire.

FM-radio, please, thats realy old technology, never had the quality i wished, using is was some kind of pain . DAB+ receiver would have been nice, but I understand thats a bridge to far.    

Inhabitant
Message 13 of 17
Message 13 of 17

Agreed.

No 3.5mm, no sale. I have been supporting Sony since the Z1.

XZ1 is my last Sony of they are just going to play copy cat Apple instead of providing features people want.

I'm not about to replace hundreds of dollars of headphones for wireless, and the terrible DACs in those stupid dongles can go die in a fire.

I'm sure the mobile division is doing great?

Inhabitant
Message 14 of 17
Message 14 of 17

I don't think there is a problem with the thickness, as it should fit nicely in most people's hand, and yes it's a bit longer, but the width has not changed, so unless you are holding the phone one hand sideways all the time, there is no complain. 

However, the proportions is so off! Xz1 scales down nicely to XZ1C, but with XZ2 scaled down, XZ2C is just purely ugly. They should have redesigned the whole device (xperia arc -> xperia Ray or Xperia T -> Xperia SX are the best example of creating a mini flagship properly) with the same specs.

Anyway, I would say that 3.5mm is fading away. I am still using it, but I would rather have a pair of headphones plugged into my desktop, rather than a 3.5mm port, and the reason is simple, I do not need a specific port doing a specific job. You can just plug in your headphones on the USB port on your keyboard, you do not need a 3.5mm jack on a Dock or anything. Plus USB does provide more power to drive the headphones. I see no reason to keep the 3.5mm jack anymore. 

Learner
Message 15 of 17
Message 15 of 17

I have bluetooth headphones that I'm rather happy with, but I'll still use my wired ones just as much. For longer trips, or when I'm switching between devices it's still a lot less hassle. Plugging into a kitchen speaker shared with the rest of the house is a lot more user friendly than pairing it and unpairing again when you want to use it. Phones have been without the jack for a while now, it hasn't brought on any great leap in the audio industry, particularly where usb-c is concerned.

The bezels are smaller, but they're still quite notable on the sides (other manufactures are cutting the edges off to squeeze a bit more, which I find perfectly acceptable), and the phone really grew.! A 1080 panel is welcome, but not at this size. And the fingerprint sensor, at a time when some manufacturers are putting it under the display, has gone to the back. If moving it from the side was to allow the curves, it was not a tradeoff worth making.

I was eagerly awaiting this phone to replace my long-serving z3c, but now I'm looking elsewhere for something that really looks like an upgrade. The acquos line from sharp/foxconn has the display tech, but would be a step back on imaging probably.

One time poster
Message 16 of 17
Message 16 of 17

Not everyone uses the mini-jack just for headphones..  I plug my aux cable from my car into it so I can play virgin radio from the app on my phone whilst I am driving to work as I don't have a DAB radio in my car and so I can stream Amazon or Spotify through my car when the radio is rubbish. My car is not Bluetooth enabled so that wouldn't be an option.

Very disappointed with Sony on this Slightly frowning Face

Inhabitant
Message 17 of 17
Message 17 of 17

@TP112 wrote:

And for those other things, mini-jack  is outdated, almost obsolete technology with wireless technology's, some things get better, so you don't need the old things. Mini-jack is reliable, but bluetooth is getting better and better and you don't have to disentangle the wire.

I prefer a wired headset -- it's just one less thing that needs to be kept charged.  Also, most bluetooth headphones are bulky and (to me) unsightly.  But, I'm an old fuddy duddy, so there's that, too.  Smiling Face with open Mouth & Smiling Eyes