account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Where can i report UI Bugs on Android Pie?

Inhabitant
Message 3 of 21
Message 3 of 21

Where can i report UI Bugs on Android Pie?

For me it seems that the animations are slower now. The device was more responsive on Oreo. Animations were quicker completed.

German translation is often looking pretty bad. Too much characters and missing line breaks. Google/Sony should see this during beta and make for stable at least line breaks. Also the blue buttons need some margins to the border of display. It looks misplaced and why has Sony removed the new recents/Overview UI from Pie? Dark mode is nice but its stuck in this mode. I want to switch the UI to white and dark depending on day time like google planned it. In developer settings this option is doing nothing. Seems Sony has disabled it. The icons in navigation bar are fading out in saturation in order to prevent burnin but I have an IPS Panel, i do not need this! At first i thought this is a bug. Also i do not need dark mode on my IPS Panel the whole time.

Another thing: Sony phones have no notch so why is clock on left side and there is no option to shift to right side like it was on Oreo? It looks like the software thinks this smartphone needs notch adaptation. Sorry but i hope that Sony fixes all these issues very soon! They should have release it November without these issues. I regret the update currently. It looks very much like a rushed update without any needs.

Screenshot_20181012-190131.png

Screenshot_20181012-113051.png

Screenshot_20181012-152126.png

20 REPLIES 20
Learner
Message 1 of 21
Message 1 of 21

Re: Android 9

Me too. And the update on xz2 compact is ugly. The status bar with quick settings is not even adapted for the screen... Very disappointed by Android pie in this smartphone. I hoped for the gesture navigation and good interface and none of them are here with this update. I hope Sony will correct this soon. _20181012_141425.JPG

Message 2 of 21
Message 2 of 21

@Moonpartydoes the layout of the toggles change when you go to Settings > Display and play around with display and font size, or does the tiny margin on both sides of the toggles stay the same?

Highlighted
Learner
Message 4 of 21
Message 4 of 21

Hello. 

Yes it works if I change the display size. But on the xz2 compact it feels so small !! It's a workaround now but I hope Sony will fix this and add gesture control.

Thanks for the tip Winking Face

Cheers

Regular
Message 5 of 21
Message 5 of 21

Re: Where can i report UI Bugs on Android Pie?

You said everything, add to this, there is no gestures, no portrait mode for selfies, smart lock still have bug. Why we dont have any normal features like other manufactures smartphone ! One update can fix everything, come on sony.

Message 6 of 21
Message 6 of 21

@Moonpartyso which one of the settings change this for you? could you please also post a screenshot of what it looks like with the setting changed? also, just to make sure, your previous screenshot is with Display size and Font size both set to "default"?

Message 7 of 21
Message 7 of 21

@z3c_user wrote:

For me it seems that the animations are slower now. The device was more responsive on Oreo. Animations were quicker completed.

for some time (starting with Android Marshmallow, I think), Sony phones were using faster animations than default Android speed. it seems that on Pie they reverted to the stock animation speed. they're a bit slower, but they're also smoother and drop less frames. if you really want faster animations back, you can go to Settings > System > About phone, tab Build number 7 times, then go to Settings > System > Developer options and check Window animation scale, Transition animation scale, and Animator duration scale to 0.5x.

@z3c_user wrote:

Also the blue buttons need some margins to the border of display. It looks misplaced

does it change if you go to Settings > Display > Display size and change it to Small? I'll try to escalate this but I want to make sure I have enough details about it.

@z3c_user wrote:

and why the **bleep** has Sony removed the new recents/Overview UI from Pie?

new recent apps list look depends on the phone's stock launcher. Pixels come with Google's launcher that enables that look, and it looks like Sony's Xperia Home doesn't support that implementation yet. perhaps it'll arrive in some future update.

@z3c_user wrote:

The icons in navigation bar are fading out in saturation in order to prevent burnin but I have an IPS Panel, i do not need this! At first i thought this is a bug. Also i do not need dark mode on my IPS Panel the whole time.

that change was introduced in Android 8.1 by Google after their Pixel phones with OLED panels showed some signs of burn-in. I guess it's baked into Android and is easier for OEMs to leave it instead of removing it in their OS build.

@z3c_user wrote:

Another thing: Sony phones have no notch so why is clock on left side and there is no option to shift to right side like it was on Oreo? It looks like the software thinks this smartphone needs notch adaptation.

yet another feature that Google has made default in Pie, regardless of whether the phone has a notch or not.

Inhabitant
Message 8 of 21
Message 8 of 21

Sorry, but in my opinion they are not 60fps or let me say fluid enough. Especially the animation when pressing home button and the app slides down to show laucher again. Maybe this is also from nova launcher but it was more fluid on oreo also with nova. I have bought nova because Sony is unable to deliver a slide down gesture in launcher to show notifications since years! i even reported this on their g+ home launcher beta page. I do not know who is responsible for such customer unfriedly decisions but it seems that Sony does not give a f... about good usability. A good usability defines that a software should be customizable. There are many more things to consider in software engineering. See ISO 9241. I guess Sony should hire an UX Usability Expert.

I know the developer settings for slowing down/or fastening animations.it seems like it was on oreo something like 0,75. and it can't be changed to this value dev settings. 0,5x is too quick.

Setting Display Size to smaller helps but this is no solution for me as its too small on this small phone. i guess they scaled it wrong and this is the reason. Would be great if the could fix it. Anyway the whole notifcations UI looks weird on a non notch phone like xz2 compact. They made not enough adjustments to it. 

I haven't tested it yet with pixel launcher but i think that recents menu is in System UI and this is independed from any used launcher. but i will test it. maybe for this the navigation gestures are required but Sony blocked them as their launcher is not yet ready for this so they also decided to ignore the recents menu UI from Pie.

I know that Google introduced it for their OLED Pixel phones to prevent burnin. Why is Sony able to remove/stuff like above mentioned but this one not? They or google should add here a check if the phone has OLED then leave it like google otherwise show full saturation always. i know this is more work but in the end it looks better.

Sonys UI approach with bright or dark is inconsistent. Settings are white, notifications are dark. both should be dark or white. additionally the menu for volume is also dark and not white. Once again if i have an IPS Panel i want white colors in UI. A dark mode should be optional.

What i also noticed: In some menus you have to press an "advanced settings", "Erweitert" in german button to show more settings when half of the screen is empty. who the .... is designing such stuff? This is one more click to get to the point where you want to be. it should remember your last unfold action. everytime i enter this menu i have to unfold the rest of the settings. In Display menu its the same.

Screenshot_20181013-150225.png

A good new thing is the adaptive battery. It seems to be much better than on oreo which is a good thing. Also the white balance settings menu is much better than the old one. The whitebalance is now much more stable than on oreo. On Oreo the white balanced was somehow in the evening shifting to be reddish. This is now not the case anymore. Anyway should Sony ignore most of this mentioned stuff then maybe i should sell my xperia and buy a pixel 3 no matter how much i like xperia smartphones.

Its really nice that they have so much improved their speed in releasing new firmwares but in this case they should fix this stuff first. November would be total ok. Oreo was a solid build.

Message 9 of 21
Message 9 of 21

@z3c_user wrote:

I haven't tested it yet with pixel launcher but i think that recents menu is in System UI and this is independed from any used launcher. but i will test it. maybe for this the navigation gestures are required but Sony blocked them as their launcher is not yet ready for this so they also decided to ignore the recents menu UI from Pie.

in Android Pie, recent apps list UI can be changed with a launcher, provided that the launcher supports it. there's a Pixel-based launcher that enables it on some phones, but it requires root permissions in order to work. also if you're using a Pixel phone and disable or remove Pixel Launcher, the recent apps menu goes back to the old look.

@z3c_user wrote:

A good new thing is the adaptive battery. It seems to be much better than on oreo which is a good thing. Also the white balance settings menu is much better than the old one. The whitebalance is now much more stable than on oreo. On Oreo the white balanced was somehow in the evening shifting to be reddish. This is now not the case anymore.

it's a feature called Night Light that can be enabled or disabled in Display settings. it changes the display's temperature to reduce the amount of blue light emited by the screen in order to make it easier to fall asleep (since blue light can affect the natural circadian rhythm). 

Inhabitant
Message 10 of 21
Message 10 of 21

I know night mode. But the ips display was changing its hue depending on daytime light conditions. It had nothing with night mode to do. This was off the whole time.