account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Typing in several languages

Adviser
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

Typing in several languages

Coming from iPhone where it is really easy to include more languages and keyboards, I am totally puzzlee by the maze that Sony puts me through. 

I want to dismiss predictive typing in all languages

I want specific national keyboards for

Swedish

French

Spanish

English

Russian

and an easy way to switch between them, even in the same mail/SMS/Messenger/whatsapp message etc. 

last but not least: The standard English keyboard is too narrow in portrait mode and it gets even worse with alphabets with more letters than English, i.e. most. I.a. I don’t need a key for smilies 

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Message 2 of 11

Re: Typing in several languages

@Jonasolof if Swiftkey doesn't suit your needs, you can try other keyboards from Play Store. personally, I use AnysoftKeyboard (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.menny.android.anysoftkeyboard), which allows you to download language packs and switch between typing languages instead of using language predictions from all languages at once. it also allows you to customize keyboard layout, disable smiley key, set keyboard height, and so on.

Adviser
Message 3 of 11
Message 3 of 11

Thanks. I installed AnySoftKeyboard and have the application. I follow your instructions and go to language and input settings. It is possible to check the app but I decline because of the warning ATTENTION  from android that the input method may be able to collect all text that I type, including passwords and credit card numbers. Even if I read a privacy policy, this does not assure me that this android app is secure for use. 

Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

@Jonasolof this is a standard Android warning for every keyboard app that you'll try downloading and enabling. Anysoft is a free and open source keyboard, so anyone can theoretically examine the code and check for malicious behaviour themselves (provided they know how to). The app doesn't even have internet permission (that's why you'll have to download additional language packs from Play Store, instead of doing it straight from the app), so even if it did collect any information, it wouldn't be able to send it anywhere. 

Adviser
Message 5 of 11
Message 5 of 11

Ok thanks for that info. So I`ll try it.

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

I hesitate to post on this forum because of all the obnoxious and superfluos spam messages about badges. Stop sending them, I am not a pre-school child! 

Message 7 of 11
Message 7 of 11

@Jonasolof you can change your preferences in forum settings, just click on your avatar in the top right corner of the website and go to My settings > Subscriptions & notifications (if you're on your phone, it's hidden behind a double arrow pointing downwards) > Notification settings. there's an option there to receive emails about badges only once per day or week, or not at all.

Adviser
Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

This alternative keyboard does what I was looking for. Much easier to type on the portrait screen. 

Message 9 of 11
Message 9 of 11

I'm glad I could help! Slightly smiling Face
Adviser
Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

I follow your instructions on how to avoid badge emails and press on the avatar. I come to my account page but My settings is not to be found. I’m reading the forum on an iPad.