account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Sound/Vibration only shortcut missing on Android 9 - any solutions?

Apprentice
Message 1 of 13
Message 1 of 13

Sound/Vibration only shortcut missing on Android 9 - any solutions?

On XZ2 compact Android 9, I want the phone to vibrate only when set on vibration and not when on sound.

ATM if I am on sound and want to switch to vibration only I need to:

- chose "Vibrate" from the volume keys shortcut;

- go to settings -> search for vibration -> set "Ring & notification vibration" to "On".

If I want to move to sound only I need to:

- chose "Sound" from the volume keys shortcut;

- go to settings -> search for vibration -> set "Ring & notification vibration" to "Off".

Does anybody know any shortcut/solution to switch between sound only/vibrate faster?

12 REPLIES 12
Apprentice
Message 2 of 13
Message 2 of 13

Re: Sound/Vibration only shortcut missing on Android 9 - any solutions?

Just use the volume up/down buttons on the right edge. It will trigger a software button at the edge  Just press the bell or vibrate button to toggle between the vibrate or ring mode. This works for me.

Good luck. 

Apprentice
Message 3 of 13
Message 3 of 13

As I said before, your approach is conditioned by the "Ring & notification vibration" status.

If I press the vibrate button as you said, but the above option is off, the phone will not vibrate.

OR

If I press the bell as you said, but the "Ring & notification vibration" is on, the phone will have both sound and vibration.

I want either sound or vibration, not both at the same time.

Learner
Message 4 of 13
Message 4 of 13

I see. If you want to disable the vibration, if you go under settings>sound, under volume, you can uncheck the "Also vibrate for calls". Hope this helps.

Apprentice
Message 5 of 13
Message 5 of 13

Your approach only affects the ringtone for calls, but all the notifications are still conditioned by "Ring & notification vibration".

If "Also vibrate for calls" is off and the phone is set on sound (bell), but the "Ring & notification vibration" is on => then the phone will have sound only for calls but will vibrate for notifications.

That is something I do not want; I just need a toggle for either sound only OR vibration only for everything (calls, SMS, emails, whatsapp).

What I need was in Android 6 and all other phones/OS before. However for unknow reasons we have been downgroaded to the current Pie.

Pioneer
Message 6 of 13
Message 6 of 13

Hi @detpruf 

Just check all settings for vibration.

Goto settings, type vibrate and you will find where you can adjust.

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't
Apprentice
Message 7 of 13
Message 7 of 13

Hello,

Did that already, but didn't find what I need.

Thought that maybe someone has a workaround or app to do this from a click of a button not 5 .

Pioneer
Message 8 of 13
Message 8 of 13

@detpruf 

Is this post helpfull for you?

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't
Apprentice
Message 9 of 13
Message 9 of 13

That you for your idea. That is a very cool app, but it's not helping in my case.

Highlighted
Learner
Message 10 of 13
Message 10 of 13

This is another new feature that seems to be disabled by default, at least on the devices that have gotten the Pie upgrade so far — so it's up to you to find it and activate it if you want to give it a go.