account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Reboot when connected to car USB

Learner
Message 1 of 16
Message 1 of 16

Reboot when connected to car USB

Brand new ZX2 compact with software fully updated. As soon as I connect it to a USB cable in my car, the phone reboots. Any reason why?

15 REPLIES 15
Learner
Message 2 of 16
Message 2 of 16

Re: Reboot when connected to car USB

It doesn't charge the phone and sometimes causes it to lock, vibrate for about 5 seconds and then reboot. It won't function whilst connected to the USB cable

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 16
Message 3 of 16

Can you try to use the cable that comes with the charger?

Learner
Message 4 of 16
Message 4 of 16

I've used the Sony supplied cable and a third party cable. Same problem. 

Inhabitant
Message 5 of 16
Message 5 of 16

I'm having a similar situation with mine. It happens every now and again, but it is most frequently when I plug the Sony USB A-to-C cable into the phone when connecting my car to Android Auto. The screen goes black, the notification light blinks red, and the phone reboots. This morning it did it 3 times in a row before I shut the phone off then powered it back on and then it worked. Sometimes I'll go days or weeks before it happens again. I'm not sure what to look for or if there's any sort of logging that I can submit. It's possible it may have started near when I switched from using the cable that came with my Xperia X Compact to the one that came with my Xperia XZ2 Compact, but I don't really recall. I do know that the charger that came with the XZ2C was dead and never worked. I'll try a different cable and see if that makes a difference. The Sony cables seem like junk and after awhile stop working if you don't plug them in a certain direction even though they are USB-C and it shouldn't matter.

Pioneer
Message 6 of 16
Message 6 of 16

Hi @MechaBouncer 

The screen goes black, the notification light blinks red, and the phone reboots. This morning it did it 3 times in a row before I shut the phone off then powered it back on and then it worked.

Same happens to me when I plug an USB cable into my computer.

Is it static electricity, is it a + to earth shortcut?

I don't know.

Anyway compter screen black, computer unresponsive, need restart and everything is OK.

In your case think of something similar.

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't
Inhabitant
Message 7 of 16
Message 7 of 16

It's gotten worse since then. At this point Android Auto no longer launches on the car. I can still connect to a computer and read the contents of the phone and memory card. I'm in contact with both Google and Sony Support regarding it. I've submitted bug reports to Google including all my troubleshooting up to now and Sony recommends a software repair through Xperia Companion. I will most likely try the software repair next, but I'm highly suspecting that something has blown in or near the USB port. The bottom speaker has sounded all tinny for several weeks and I keep losing GPS signal while the USB cable is connected.

Pioneer
Message 8 of 16
Message 8 of 16

As far as your reports go I would choose the USB port as cause of all troubles.

Nice that you included Google support in your search for a solution.

As far as my knowledge goes on this forum I must say that it's always good to try to find the cause of all evil, however skipping that step and go for a software repair gives the best result in most cases.

You will never find the real cause but the satisfaction of owning a device that does what it should do wins.

Anyway, be it the USB port or the software, I sincerely hope that things will go as it should on short term.

Keep us informed.

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't
Inhabitant
Message 9 of 16
Message 9 of 16

Well that was a waste of time. Did the software repair. Reset EVERYTHING in the phone. Waited for it to finish reinstalling all of my apps. Connected to the car and nothing. I can still connect to a computer fine, but it just doesn't respond in the car. And other phones work just fine in the car with the same cables. Something is broken in the phone that wiping the software cannot fix.

Pioneer
Message 10 of 16
Message 10 of 16

A software repair cleans up everything.

When you restore your apps it is possible that you restore trouble as well.

Some 3rd party apps have the bad habit of mixing things up.

The one and only test is a software repair followed by only installing the most urgently needed apps. Leave SD card out, these also my have a tendency to cause trouble when they are at the end of their life time.

Then test in your car.

If it works problem is resolved and restore whatever you want.

If it still doesn't work then send your device in for repair.

How does your phone connect to other cars?

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't