account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Reboot when connected to car USB

Inhabitant
Message 11 of 16
Message 11 of 16

Re: Reboot when connected to car USB

Well the reset caused me to lose MONTHS of medical records that I was monitoring in one of my apps that I now can't get back. Screw this factory reset! It's only makes my life worse! What good is backing up apps if none of the data gets backed up too!? It's asinine!

Inhabitant
Message 12 of 16
Message 12 of 16

Well now that I have nothing left to lose, fine. I repaired AGAIN and didn't restore any apps or settings. I pulled out the MicroSD card for good measure. I tried it again in my car with all 3 cables and exactly the same. Won't start at all. I also gave it a try in my dad's Malibu. Same results. Will pair over Bluetooth, but car doesn't respond when phone is connected by USB. Happy now?

Pioneer
Message 13 of 16
Message 13 of 16

Sorry to hear that.

And your pa's device does connect to your car?

USB settings?

Set to transfer files or to MIDI?

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't
Inhabitant
Message 14 of 16
Message 14 of 16

He has an iPhone, but that works. My mom has a Nexus 5X and that also works. I even used the same Sony UCB20 USB cable that came with my XZ2C. Yes, also tried changing the USB mode. Had to go into Developer Options for those because it doesn't present itself when I connect the XZ2C to a car.

Perhaps it will be easier to detail the same information that I have submitted to Google Support, the Android Auto user community, and Sony Support:
  • Error message: No message shows up in notifications, however the Support section of the phone notes app issues with Android Auto in the last 10 days corresponding to failed attempts to launch it with the car. The phone also vibrates and does a little animation when a USB cable is plugged in, but nothing happens after that. Sometimes it pulses that animation over and over depending on the USB cable.
  • Car / head unit make & model: 2015 Mazda 3 Mazda Connect system v70.00.100 NA N with the Android Auto/Apple CarPlay upgrade performed at my local Mazda dealership with official parts
  • Phone make & model: Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact (H8314)
  • Android OS version: 9 (Build 52.0.A.7.1)
  • Android Auto app version: 4.0.590434-release
  • Google Play services version: 15.0.90 (100408-231259764)

Here are all the things that I have tried thus far:
  • Restarted the phone and shut it off completely and restarted it multiple times
  • Rebooted the infotainment system and restarted car multiple times
  • Manually started Android Auto on phone, but it never started it in the car infotainment system
  • Tried 5 different USB cables and even ordered over $50 more in USB cables that now started arriving (I have not yet tried the new cables yet)
  • Tried those same 5 USB cables on my computer and found 2 to communicate with the phone reliably, but still don't work in the car
  • Using the same original Sony UCB20 USB cable that came with my phone I was able to start Android Auto on my car's infotainment system without issue using my mother's Nexus 5X, but did not take note of the version she had installed (most likely older). My father's iPhone also worked right away with CarPlay on my car.
  • Used canned air to blow out the USB port on the phone and make sure there wasn't anything in the port
  • Used Developer Options to enable and disable USB debugging under Developer Options
  • Revoked USB debugging authorizations
  • Used Developer Options to change default USB configuration from "No data transfer" to "File Transfer" (although I don't know if this is the same as MTP mode that I used to set it to)
  • Unpaired the phone with the car and repaired it over Bluetooth
  • Factory reset the Mazda Connect infotainment system (this was quite a hassle to reset everything)
  • Updated all Google applications (Google, Maps, Docs, Fit, Play Games, Wear OS, Hangouts, Gmail, Duo, YouTube, Photos, Pay. Chrome, Text-to-Speech, News, Gboard, Slides)
  • Cleared Android Auto's cache
  • Cleared Android Auto's data
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled Android Auto
  • Enabled developer options and debugging in Android Auto
  • Cleared Google Play services cache
  • Contacted Google and submitted bug reports. They are looking into it currently.
  • Performed software repair through Xperia Companion and reset all data
  • Removed MicroSD card
  • Tried phone in father's Chevy Malibu. Will pair with Bluetooth, but won't work over USB.

This isn't my first rodeo. I've been using Android Auto both unofficially and officially with both my Xperia X Compact as well as the Xperia XZ2 Compact up until I started having problems a few weeks ago. Then it just stopped working completely. I suspect the reboot issue was the start of something going faulty in the phone around the USB port. The bottom speaker is all tinny like something is wrong with it and I frequently lose GPS signal when connected by USB cable for charging. I'm surprised that data communication works with a computer, though.

Pioneer
Message 15 of 16
Message 15 of 16

Hi @MechaBouncer 

I see that you have put a lot of effort in it.

Found your posts from mid 2018 on Xperia X Compact too.

In my country Android Auto is blocked plus that my car doesn't support Android Auto.

I'm sorry I cannot help you trace your problems.

I have been reading a bit and found one more remark.

Take care that your phone is unlocked at the moment you plug in your phone.

Here is what Google instructs (I'm sure you have read it, copying it anyway)

1. Make sure your phone is running Android 5.0 (Lollipop) and up. For best performance, we recommend Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) and up.
  2. Confirm that your car is compatible with Android Auto and that Android Auto is turned on in your car's settings. If you're not sure, contact your local car dealer.
  3. Make sure your phone has a strong and fast network connection. We recommend running Android Auto for the first time within Wi-Fi range for the fastest installation.
  4. Download the Android Auto app from Google Play, or just plug your phone into a compatible car with a USB cable and you'll be prompted to download the app.
  5. Before you connect your phone for the first time, turn on your car. Make sure it's in park (P) and that you have time to set up Android Auto. 
    1. Unlock your phone's screen.
    2. Connect your phone to your car using a USB cable. 
    3. Your phone might ask you to download or update certain apps, like Google Maps.
    4. Review the Safety Information and Android Auto permissions to access your apps.
    5. Turn on notifications for Android Auto. For the best experience, we recommend accepting all requests.

Your phone’s Bluetooth will be turned on automatically when Android Auto is connected to the car via USB.

On your car display, select Android Auto Android Auto . Follow the instructions to get started.

Drive safely! Make sure to stay fully aware of the road and driving conditions, and always obey applicable laws.

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't
Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 16 of 16
Message 16 of 16

Sony determined that the issue must be hardware at this point and I have sent it back for repair under warranty.