account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Problem transferring data to Xperia XZ

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Problem transferring data to Xperia XZ

Help !

I have bought my Xperia XZ compact for over a month now but I’ve not been able to use it since as I’m not able to transfer data from my iPhone 5.  Tried using the Xperia companion software and transferring from a backup but it keeps sayin no data found from backup. Decided to purchase an OTG, tried transferring using OTG. 1st round, error - not enough space, bought a 64gb card and inserted it. 2nd Round, transfer goes really slow and always stalls when it’s about 46gb. Just goes round and round without prompting any message. It took 3 hours to reach 46gb.  Please help I’m at my wits end and I regret buying this device. The very first thing you would want to do with a new phone is to transfer data and I’ve not been able to do it for a month and it’s been really stressful and frustrating ! I just want to use my phone already !

7 REPLIES 7
Pioneer
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: Problem transferring data to Xperia XZ

@Loki3

Is your content saved to iCloud? If yes, did you try using Xperia Transfer Mobile app? 

Rookie
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

Hi Roadrunny

I've never used icloud to backup my iPhone. I can give it a shot. 

Pioneer
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

@Loki3

Xperia Transfer also has the cable transfer option. Give it a try first maybe it will work better and faster than what you have tried before. 

Pioneer
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

Hi @Loki3;

When using Xperia Transfer if you start having also problems because of transfer size try transfering one option at a time.

Rookie
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

Hi Roadrunny,

I have been using the cable connected both phones via an OTG cable, when I start the Xperia transfer, it just gets stuck in preparation stage and always stalls after 45gb in the preparation stage. I tried last night again taking a new iPhone backup and then using Xperia companion software on my PC, it still comes up with no content found from my backup. I have never used iCloud but after downloading iCloud on my pc, it seems they only give me 5gb of space but I have 60gb of data. Not sure how to backup to iCloud now.

Rookie
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

Hi Nunosen

When using a cable transfer with an OTG, I just get stalled in the preparation stage at 45gb, it doesn’t even reach the stage prompting me which data I want to transfer.. Absolutely stuck !

Rookie
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

Hi all,

I have managed to find a way to perform my transfer.

1. Copy all my 40GB of Photos n Videos from Iphone to my laptop.

2. Manually remove all 40GB of photos n videos on my iphone.

3. Attempt sync again using OTG. (Realised it only works with an original Iphone cable)

I am now finally able to use my phone !

But I'm still very very very disappointed that :-

1. Data Transfer (The first thing that one does when the have a new phone) 

failed both on Xperia companion from an Iphone backup (no data found) and

via OTG cable (Could not handle large data).

2. Absolute lack of help/support from Sony !!!

We should not be having the need to go through forums and weeks of research to do a very basic thing that everyone does when we purchase a new phone ! Very disappointing !