account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Option to disable stamina mode when unlocking the phone?

SOLVED
Learner
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

Option to disable stamina mode when unlocking the phone?

Hello,

I just sent the following message as improvement suggestion email to support, but want to post here as well for opinions and to highlight this seemingly simple fix:

After using an Xperia Z1 for over 4 years and now having changed to a Xperia XZ2, most things are living up to expectations. Thank you for delivering a good product Slightly smiling Face

One very frustrating thing however is how the Stamina mode functionality/experience has become much worse on the XZ2. I prefer to have "battery preferred" on when not using the phone to have battery power for 3-4 days. However since, in my opinion, the phone becomes completely unusable in stamina mode I immideately disable stamina mode each time I unlock the phone. Even performing the extra step of pulling down the top menu to disable it is unreliable/difficult, especially out in sunlight due to dimmed screen.

My suggestion is to simply add the option to disable stamina mode when unlocking the phone! Should be simple to add?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

Re: Option to disable stamina mode when unlocking the phone?

@Stiffo well, unfortunately Stamina mode can't control mobile data the way it used to on older Sony phones. on Android 6.0, Google has introduced a feature called Doze, which limits data transfer (and reduces battery usage) when the screen is off. basically, instead of maintaining constant internet connection when the screen is off, the phone goes to sleep and periodically connects to network to check for notifications. Google has also forbidden manufacturers to mess with that feature in any way. still, it's doing pretty much what the old Stamina mode on Z1 and the likes used to do.

the current iteration of Stamina mode is rather intended to be used as a low battery mode, in situations when your battery is running low but you have no way to charge it, so you want to squeeze as much battery life of it as possible. that's why it also slows the phone down so much - it's assumed that you're willing to sacrifice some performance when it's evening, the battery is on 7% and you haven't arrived home yet.

for mobile data, you might want try using data saver. it disables data usage for apps running in the background, so you get less mobile data used and might save some battery. keep in mind that you might not be getting notifications from some apps until you open them, but it sounds like that wouldn't bother you.

to enable data saver, go to Settings > Network & Internet > Data usage > Data Saver and toggle it on.  

if you find that the data saver is delaying notifications from some app that is essential for you, you can add it to a whitelist in Settings > Network & Internet > Data usage > Data Saver > Unrestricted data access.

you can also add Data Saver toggle to the pull down menu to toggle it off and on without going all the way through Settings.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

@Stiffothe main way Stamina mode prolongs battery life is by downclocking the phone's processor. the phone is slower to navigate because of that, but uses less juice. it doesn't do much for the phone when the screen is locked, because even with Stamina mode off, the phone's processor reaches the maximum power saving mode then. disabling Stamina mode on screen unlock would pretty much negate its purpose that way.

Learner
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

Well, "Battery preferred" "Stamina level" does limit background data in all situations + disable GPS when the screen is locked etc. However since my previous post I have realised that the option to enable/disable mobile data with lock screen might be what I really want!

The short version:

As long as I can get 4 days of standby time, the only important thing for me is to not get disturbed by unwanted notifications (and of course not waste battery power checking for non-important stuff).

The long version:

Stamina mode on my old Z1 basically seemed to disable mobile data when the screen was locked. I liked that alot, only checking for messages and stuff when activating the phone - no disturbances from the phone when I did not want to + good standby battery time.

Basically what I have found out is that just having the phone trying to keep mobile data signal drains alot of battery, roaming or not. Going from 4G to 3G imporves battery time (probably due to high 4G load or poor signal), and disabling mobile data altogether might be even better (GSM only obviously gives the best coverage).

On XZ2 stamina mode might be mostly for active usage of the phone (although I can't understand how anyone can stand it), not primarily for idle power saving. "Battery preferred Stamina level" does however limit background data + GPS etc, giving me up to 4 days of battery time and no disturbances. Normally I have everything (WIFI, GPS, BT) manually turned off anyway and only enable when I want to. It works for me. However Stamina mode or mobile data is a little inconvenient to manually enable/disable all the time because when I unlock the phone I instantly want a fast phone with mobile data (just like the good old Z1).

Highlighted
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

@Stiffo well, unfortunately Stamina mode can't control mobile data the way it used to on older Sony phones. on Android 6.0, Google has introduced a feature called Doze, which limits data transfer (and reduces battery usage) when the screen is off. basically, instead of maintaining constant internet connection when the screen is off, the phone goes to sleep and periodically connects to network to check for notifications. Google has also forbidden manufacturers to mess with that feature in any way. still, it's doing pretty much what the old Stamina mode on Z1 and the likes used to do.

the current iteration of Stamina mode is rather intended to be used as a low battery mode, in situations when your battery is running low but you have no way to charge it, so you want to squeeze as much battery life of it as possible. that's why it also slows the phone down so much - it's assumed that you're willing to sacrifice some performance when it's evening, the battery is on 7% and you haven't arrived home yet.

for mobile data, you might want try using data saver. it disables data usage for apps running in the background, so you get less mobile data used and might save some battery. keep in mind that you might not be getting notifications from some apps until you open them, but it sounds like that wouldn't bother you.

to enable data saver, go to Settings > Network & Internet > Data usage > Data Saver and toggle it on.  

if you find that the data saver is delaying notifications from some app that is essential for you, you can add it to a whitelist in Settings > Network & Internet > Data usage > Data Saver > Unrestricted data access.

you can also add Data Saver toggle to the pull down menu to toggle it off and on without going all the way through Settings.

Learner
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

Ok, thanks for the tips about data saver. Enabled it and added a few apps that I want to sync at least a few times a day to exception list (and will try to mute their notification sounds as required). In the exception list I also found "Google Play Services" with a "non-outgreyed selector"! It was the only one that was pre-selected as exception, but since I have also noted that it is one of the biggest battery-users I am very happy to see that data saver allows me to at least limit its data use Slightly smiling Face

I will see how I like these settings over a few days and if I'm happy I'll come back and update your reply as solution. Maybe it is stupid to block Google Play Services, but time will tell!

Adviser
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

How can I get rid of Xperia Lounge notifications? 

Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

@Jonasolof you can go to Settings > Apps & notifications > App info and find Xperia Lounge entry and go to App notifications > and toggle the switch next to "On".