account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Media volume extremely low on wired headphones -- no fixes work, unusable

Apprentice
Message 1 of 12
Message 1 of 12

Media volume extremely low on wired headphones -- no fixes work, unusable

Media volume on the XZ2 compact using wired headphones is extremely low. Cannot listen on a train or subway. I've tried two wired headphones, two adapters, all the various settings -- and yesterday, I did a repair install of the software (what a pain) -- and absolutely no difference.  My tiny ipod nano is multiple times the volume.  Happens on music player apps and is even worse on streaming audio from a website.  I haven't tried wireless headphones because frankly, I'm wary of investing in them if this phone is incapable of amplification. I'm a musician and this is extremely frustrating.  I'm refraining, for now, from adding disparaging remarks about Sony. Any ideas?

Mark

11 REPLIES 11
Emperor
Message 2 of 12
Message 2 of 12

Re: Media volume extremely low on wired headphones -- no fixes work, unusable

@mspark 

just to clear things out, does it happen with the preloaded music app? could you check the equalizer music app settings ?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Apprentice
Message 3 of 12
Message 3 of 12

In a quiet room the volume is adequate on a music stored on the phone, barely ok on a streamed radio through a browser.  So maybe I'm exaggerating by saying it's  "extremely" low. But my ipod nano reaches a volume that I have to turn down -- not so on the phone.  It never gets "loud".  With background noise like on the subway, I can't listen.  Is there a difference on blue tooth headphones?  If not, either I'll have to attach a clunky boosteroo or dump the phone. The supposed volume boosting apps do nothing. 

Apprentice
Message 4 of 12
Message 4 of 12

After trying many apps -- one works: Easy Volume Boost.  Have to put up with spamming ads.  But at least there appears to be a fix. Sorry it didn't come from Sony. Maybe someday.. 

Emperor
Message 5 of 12
Message 5 of 12

@mspark 

Open the music app > swipe left to right or tap on the top left corner > Settings > Audio settings > Accessory settings > which settings have you set? 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Apprentice
Message 6 of 12
Message 6 of 12

None of those settings make a difference in volume.  While the Easy Volume Booster app works, it   distorts even at the lowest volume setting. Guess it's ok for podcasts. Again, my little ipod nano has greater volume and better fidelity.  Hoping wireless headphones will do better ...

Message 7 of 12
Message 7 of 12

@msparkhave your tried going to Settings > Sound > Audio settings and see if changing any options there affect the volume? make sure to try it with the volume booster app disabled or uninstalled. I'm not 100% sure but I think DSEE HX option affected the playback volume in some way.

Apprentice
Message 8 of 12
Message 8 of 12

No, none of those setting do anything.  And, alas, the sound booster app doesn't help streaming audio from a website. Have to be in a quiet space to hear it.  I'm left to have to add a headphone amp device like boosteroo. Bottom line: this phone has defective audio for wired headphones -- simply inexcusable.

Message 9 of 12
Message 9 of 12

@msparkyou could try performing a software repair with Xperia Companion and see if that fixes your issue https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/How-to-perform-a-software-repair-with-Xperia-Companion/td-p/11030...

I've been using my XZ2 Compact for music listening a lot and I really can't complain about the playback volume.

Apprentice
Message 10 of 12
Message 10 of 12

I did the full software repair -- what a pain! still trying to reconfigure apps.  It did nothing.  Can you or any other owners tell me that your wired headphone volume gets "loud" (that is, a bit uncomfortable and has to be turned down)?  For my experience, at max volume it is adequate in relatively quiet circumstances and inadequate in others (but never loud).  Also, what is your experience with blue tooth -- is that louder?