account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobile World Congress 2019

Sonys Press conference from MWC took place end of February
If you missed it you can watch it here.
Please join the discussion here and share your thoughts on what was anounced here. MWC 2019 discussion.

Locked out of my Xperia XZ2 Compact running Android 8 (Oreo)

SOLVED
Highlighted
Rookie
Message 1 of 3
Message 1 of 3

Locked out of my Xperia XZ2 Compact running Android 8 (Oreo)

Hi, I've been using my fingerprint to unlock the phone for the last weeks. Yesterday I shut off the phone because it was very low on battery, I turn it on this morning and it asks me the unlock pattern, which of course I can't remember.

I've tried the ones that I thought were right, but none of them was (I've surely tried more than 10). Then I have tried all the following things:

1. Used xperia companion software repair, but when I click on "repair" it says that the phone is locked, so I can't proceed with the repair/reset
  2. Went to Android Device Manager’s portal and clicked on erase data, but nothing is happening on the phone even if it's on my home wifi network with my sim card on
  3. Tried to boot the phone in fastboot with any powerbutton+volume combination but it doesn't start in any sort of recovery mode

I really don't know what to do at this point. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rookie
Message 3 of 3
Message 3 of 3

Re: Locked out of my Xperia XZ2 Compact running Android 8 (Oreo)

After contacting sony support USA via chat, they aksed me my details and phone IMEI (which I found from google device manager) and then sent me via email the following procedure:

1. Make sure that the device has at least 80% charge.
  2. Download xpedia companion from https://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/xperia-companion/
  3. Enter the option of Software Repair.
  4. In the menu that is displayed choose phone repair.
  5. Then click on next.
  6. If the application asks you to connect the phone, ignore this and select the tab that says my computer is not recognized by the PC or is a Smartwatch 3
  7. Then the download of a series of data necessary to perform this process will begin.
  8. Make sure that the device is not connected to the computer.
  9. Turn off the device and wait 5 seconds.
  10. Press and hold the volume down key while connecting the device.
  11. Wait for the program to start the process automatically.
  12. In the following box mark the white box and click on next.
  13. Then press again on the next one and later this process will start. The speed of this process will depend on the speed of the Internet.
  14. Once finished the process press Done and turn on the device.

The key point for me was nr.6. It took the process a lot of time to complete and at the beginning it seemed stuck at something like 5%, then I went to bed and the following morning there was a success message saying:

Xperia software repair
The software repair completed successfully
Software version: 52.0.A.3.202-R4B

the phone was actually working. At this point after restart it asked me my google credentials or my previous pin, I don't know if that was because I tried to lock/reset the phone from Android device manager or because it's a standard procedure following a reset for a locked device. Anyway, I knew my credentials and everything went fine.

I have my phone back again, thanks Sony Support!!

2 REPLIES 2
Emperor
Message 2 of 3
Message 2 of 3

@damnko 

if neither Xperia Companion nor Android Device Manager work, you should contact Sony directly. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Rookie
Message 3 of 3
Message 3 of 3

After contacting sony support USA via chat, they aksed me my details and phone IMEI (which I found from google device manager) and then sent me via email the following procedure:

1. Make sure that the device has at least 80% charge.
  2. Download xpedia companion from https://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/xperia-companion/
  3. Enter the option of Software Repair.
  4. In the menu that is displayed choose phone repair.
  5. Then click on next.
  6. If the application asks you to connect the phone, ignore this and select the tab that says my computer is not recognized by the PC or is a Smartwatch 3
  7. Then the download of a series of data necessary to perform this process will begin.
  8. Make sure that the device is not connected to the computer.
  9. Turn off the device and wait 5 seconds.
  10. Press and hold the volume down key while connecting the device.
  11. Wait for the program to start the process automatically.
  12. In the following box mark the white box and click on next.
  13. Then press again on the next one and later this process will start. The speed of this process will depend on the speed of the Internet.
  14. Once finished the process press Done and turn on the device.

The key point for me was nr.6. It took the process a lot of time to complete and at the beginning it seemed stuck at something like 5%, then I went to bed and the following morning there was a success message saying:

Xperia software repair
The software repair completed successfully
Software version: 52.0.A.3.202-R4B

the phone was actually working. At this point after restart it asked me my google credentials or my previous pin, I don't know if that was because I tried to lock/reset the phone from Android device manager or because it's a standard procedure following a reset for a locked device. Anyway, I knew my credentials and everything went fine.

I have my phone back again, thanks Sony Support!!