account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

GPS unstable

Apprentice
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

GPS unstable

Hi Everyone,

I just bought an XZ2 Compact phone one week ago and i was very excited about it but after a few days i've seen many issues with the GPS stability.

When i'm riding with my car at 130kmh (using speed regulator), the speed shown by the phone is very random between 120 and 140kmh which is weird....

I decided to install GPS Status app on it and i can see that the phone is not capable to receive all satellites (around half of it max).

I've reinit the GPS data 2 or 3 times + reload the phone but still the same. It's incapable to fix it's own speed.

Finally, i've also seen that my phone is also showing a random speed when it's simply put on a desk... super weird !

Here is a video, it's on my desk not moving but also showing a random speed :

https://youtu.be/2hJ57nenntE

Do i need to RMA my phone ? Slightly frowning Face is anyone has seen this issue before ?

I'm using Android 8.

Thanks a lot,

Vincent.

Uploaded by Vincent H on 2018-12-14.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: GPS unstable

just to clarify, not communicating with all GPS satellites is normal. GPS receiver only needs info from 3 satellites at the same time in order to establish the location.

Apprentice
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

All right thanks, so that part is normal  Slightly smiling Face

What about the speed issue ? Disappointed but relieved Face

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

Seems that the first video has been deleted, i've rehosted it on youtube .

Thanks guys

Apprentice
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

Anyone have an idea ?

I've contacted Sony and they told me to upgrade to Android Pie first...which i did but still the issue so i'm sending it back to Sony .....

In case, here is a video while i'm driving at 130kmh (using speed regulator)

https://youtu.be/O8--V6_A_oE

My old S4 Mini (5 years old ) is more precise than that ... i'm a bit disappointed ..

Speed regulator fixed at 130 kmh
Apprentice
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

hi guys ( i'm quite alone here .. )

Amazon sent me another phone because i've complained about the other one.

And this is the same issue... this phone.

I can tell you this is my very first and very last Sony mobile ...

One time poster
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

Hello,

I bought a xz2 compact and my wife an sony xz2. 

Both we have the same issue than you. The gps **bleep**.  Some issues also with some lag during recording videos. 

Also really disappointed because i had never problems with my z3 compact or xperia x compact. Next one: google pixel 4 or 4a.