account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobile World Congress 2019

Sonys Press conference from MWC took place this monday
If you missed it you can watch it here.
Please join the discussion here and share your thoughts on what was anounced here. MWC 2019 discussion.

Facebook Notification Sound cannot be changed.

Apprentice
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

Facebook Notification Sound cannot be changed.

Hi, my OS is android 9.

I tried to change the notification sound of my facebook app. The change ist visibible in the settings but i still get the standard facebook plop. What am I doing wrong?

When I go to the settings, I see the notification sound, I have set but i still hear the standard sound.

It's terrible :-(

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Re: Facebook Notification Sound cannot be changed.

@longdongjohnI'm not familiar with Facebook app, but it's possible that it uses a feature called notification channels, which sorts various notifications the app sends into several categories. could you go to Settings > Apps & notifications > Facebook app > Notifications, take a screenshot, and post it here?

Apprentice
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

I've checked these settings. It has nothing to do with that.

It's annoying Face with cold Sweat

Since I can't find anyone else who has the same problem, I assume it must be my fault but I don't know where to start.

On the screenshot below you will see the adjustet tone (called "syrma"). But this is NOT the tone, i can hear. I always get the standard pop sound, which is called "Facebook". Even if I didn't set that "Facebook" tone at all.

Screenshot_20190114-081301.png

Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

I cannot see your screenshot yet (probably needs to confirmed by a moderator) so I don't know how you've set the tone.

Here is how it should work from my understanding (some settings may vary as my phone is in German and I only translated the words):

• Open Facebook-app
  • Press on the three lines on the top right
  • Scroll down and press on Settings and Privacy --> Settings
  • Scroll down and press on Notification Settings
  • Scroll down to "How you want to receive notifications" and press on "Push".
  • There press on "Notification sound" and select the tone you'd like.
Apprentice
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

I know exactly how to change the tone. I have done it many times before. On my old phone it always worked fine.

The problem isn't that I can't find the way to adjust it. The problem is that I always get the same sound even though I set another one.

Example:

I set the sound to "SYRMA". "SYRMA" is clearly set, as I can see in the list.

As soon as a notification appears, I get the sound "FACEBOOK".

I set the sound "SIRIUS". "SIRIUS" is clearly set, as i can see in the list.

As soon as a notification appears, I get the sound "FACEBOOK".

Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

Okay, I understand.

Then this seems to be an issue with the Facebook-App, don't you think? I see no other way to set a different notification tone.

I usually have turned off all sounds and notifications for Facebook so I can't say if it worked in the past, sorry Slightly frowning Face

But I've changed the notification sound to Syrma now, so once I get a notification via facebook I see if it works...problem is only that I barely get nofications via facebook so it might take some days until I can report back ^^

Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

I've tested it and you are right: Even though I've set another nofication sound I still get the Facebook-"Pop". 

Not sure where the problem is but I suspect a Facebook-bug as notification sounds from other apps are played correctly.

Apprentice
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

Isn't there anyone else who has ever noticed this problem? It upsets me. I can set any tone I want. All I ever hear is that stupid Facebook sound.

Apprentice
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

Girlfriend has the same problem with her Xperia XZ2 (no Compact).

Exactly the same problem. Changes are saved but we only get the standard Facebook sound.