account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobile World Congress 2019

Sonys Press conference from MWC took place end of February
If you missed it you can watch it here.
Please join the discussion here and share your thoughts on what was anounced here. MWC 2019 discussion.

Concensus on AVG ?

SOLVED
Regular
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

Concensus on AVG ?

Just purchased XZ2 Compact yesterday, and already thrilled.  Great phone!

AVG Protection keeps wanting me to turn it on, which I am reluctant to do.  I searched the forum and found a few posts from years past, but nothing recent.  Is there a concensus about AVG?  i.e. "sure, it does good things, go ahead and use it."  or, "OMG.  Disable this as fast as you can."

or....

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Re: Concensus on AVG ?

I'm on the "disable this as fast as you can"-side.

Such a protection is useless on a smartphone and only drains your battery.

The best protection against malware is the user's brain. Don't install apps via unknown sources and don't click on every ad-popup, then you'll be fine Slightly smiling Face

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

I'm on the "disable this as fast as you can"-side.

Such a protection is useless on a smartphone and only drains your battery.

The best protection against malware is the user's brain. Don't install apps via unknown sources and don't click on every ad-popup, then you'll be fine Slightly smiling Face

Emperor
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

@CrimpOn 

I agree, not useful, just stay out of dodgy sites, only install from the playstore. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Regular
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

Thanks.  I disabled it.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

Hi @CrimpOn, welcome to our forum and congratulations on your new device! Slightly smiling Face

I agree with both @uliwooly and @skycamefalling, I have it disabled in my device as well as I don't really feel the need of having an anti virus application on my device.

It all comes down to how you much you know about "the internet" in general and if you are a fairly novice user, it can be very helpful as you may click on a pop-up on a website without knowing what can happen. These days it's important to be extra careful, since its quite common to have banking applications and such in a smartphone nowadays!

Let us know if you have any more questions regarding your new device and have a great day! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.