account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Bluetooth codec stuck on SBC

One time poster
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

Bluetooth codec stuck on SBC

So I opened the develeoper mode and tried to change codec, as my earphones only support AAC/aptX.

No matter what I do it keeps resetting to SBC! And I am unable to connect it to my earphones.

I do find other devices that supports SBC but that does not help me. 

The option for other codes are there but as soon as I've changed it and exit the menu and open it up again it resets to SBC. I tried changing it, staying in the menu and turning on bluetooth, resets to SBC. Tried restarting, resets to SBC. I have also tried the different avrcp settings but I think the standard SBC codec is the problem for me. 

What can I do? I read about other with similiar problems but no solutions. These earphones works fine on my older phone which I have resorted to. Wireless music is important for me :-)  

4 REPLIES 4
Talent
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Re: Bluetooth codec stuck on SBC

THANK YOU for pointing this out !!

I've been complaining about the quality of audio over bluetooth for a long time now and it seems that it's been bad ever since we went from Android 5 (or 6 ??) to 7 

First off , the quality itself is bad

Secondly i experience audio filters applied (eg: more bass) even with vanilla settings. 

From what i understand about Bluetooth audio, it's using a negotiation protocol and will revert to lowest common protocol after a few tries. 

It seems though, that Sony gave up on fixing Bluetooth audio during version 7 and wanted to fix everything in version 8... 

Apprentice
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

What headphones are you using?

Have you made sure no other BT devices are paired (or are trying to pair, could be neighbours even)?

"I do find other devices that supports SBC but that does not help me.", may very well be your problem.

Some headphones (like my new WH-1000XM3 for example) will not connect in LDAC if already connected to an aptx/aptxHD source, and my aptx HD transmitter will not connect/pair (it only autoconnects) if there are Apple headphones turned on nearby. Another thing I have found makes connection fail is if the bluetooth module in my Sony Bravia TV is on. Also, some headphones do not support multiple devices.

To summarize: Remove any existing pairing with devices both on headphone and device. Turn off all BT devices and make that no other BT devices are nearby (or even better go to a remote place). Restart your phone in safe mode (makes sure no other apps are messing things up). Disable developer settings and try to pair again.

PS. What the other poster replied is incorrect. BT will revert to the highest common sound quality, not lowest.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

I have the same problem on my new Xperia XZ3 on Android 9. And still no solution for that. Seems to be a bug in general ??? Any help would be appreciated!

Apprentice
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

Did you try my suggestions? Let us know.

I do not think it can be general issue because then it would not work for anyone (works for me). Some other device or app other than the M3 and XZ2 Compact is likely involved.