account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Accidentally entered into either safe mode or recovery mode (Xperia XZ2 Compact)

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 1 of 3
Message 1 of 3

Accidentally entered into either safe mode or recovery mode (Xperia XZ2 Compact)

My previous phone had been a Pixel and I was familiar with holding down the volume down button and power button at the same time to take a screenshot. When I did this on my Xperia XZ2 Compact, The phone shut off and restarted to a mode where every notification on the phone has a voice assistant reciting it. The phone also functions more slowly. I would like to know what I have done to my phone and whether it is reversible.

2 REPLIES 2
Emperor
Message 2 of 3
Message 2 of 3

Re: Accidentally entered into either safe mode or recovery mode (Xperia XZ2 Compact)

@ejmahmoodi 

That's not safe mode, if it was safe mode, it should said it at the bottom of the screen, if so, just restart the phone

Go to settings > accessibility > make sure that everything it's off

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 3
Message 3 of 3

Re: Accidentally entered into either safe mode or recovery mode (Xperia XZ2 Compact)

Hi @ejmahmoodi, welcome to our forum!

The feature that you have activated is called Talkback and is a tool to help visually impaired users use their device.

There is a volume key shortcut setting in the device that will activate Talkback as the standard one if you press and hold both volume buttons at the same time for 3 seconds and I think that is what happened, as you can take a screenshot in our devices when using volume down and the power button at the same time, or if you press the power button > tap on "Take screenshot".

You can disable the volume key shortcut, or change what it starts in Settings > Accessibility > Volume key shortcut. Turn off "Use service" if you don't want the shortcut at all, or tap "Shortcut service" and choose a service from the list.

To turn of the mode you are in now, go to Settings > Accessibility > Talkback > Off. The device acts a bit different in this mode, so if you want to swipe, you have to use two fingers instead of one and when you want to tap on something to, tap once and you will see a green square around the option > double tap with your finger.

Let us know if you were able to disable the Talkback mode! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.