account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

switching on phone does not "start" reception

ezy
Commissioner
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

switching on phone does not "start" reception

when i first power up my XZ1 in the morning I notice there will be no notification noises at all.

if 20 minutes later i "pin" number in to the homescreen the phone then goes mad with notifications.

is the phone not connecting to the world until the pin is entered rather than just being powered on?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: switching on phone does not "start" reception

@ezyif your SIM card is protected by PIN then yes, you have to type it before your phone can connect to the network.

ezy
Commissioner
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

the phone says sim lock is not set up.

the only lock on is device pin (and fingerprint) 

Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

@ezy try going to Settings > Lock screen & security > Screen lock > PIN > Require after restarting. That way, you'll have to type your PIN during the bootup (during the XPERIA logo changing colours and so on), but you'll be able to use fingerprint immediately after booting and perhaps the phone will connect to the network right away, too?

ezy
Commissioner
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

"Settings > Lock screen & security > Screen lock > PIN > Require after restarting" doesn't appear to be a menu option on my XZ1

i'm not sure how that is different to what it does anyway?

by default turning on the phone a pin is always needed. it wont allow unlocking by fingerprint unless the phone has previously been pin unlocked during that "powered up" period.

my problem is, if i walk past the phone in the morning i want to just turn it on and walk away. so it continues it's boot up without be needing to be around it.   then when i am next near it i can sign in and read all the messages that have come in since it was last turned on.   that is what i used to do with my z5 & z1 & S and X10...  and as the "boot up time" got longer with each of them became more useful to turn on, walk away and come back to it when it was all up and running and the messages had been harvested...    but with the XZ1 i seem to have to stand around waiting for it to boot up, then log in, before it will then start to harvest all the sms/whataspp/email/ other app news push notifications. 

Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

@ezythe difference with that setting is that the phone requires PIN during the bootup process, not after it.

just to make sure that it's not a SIM card PIN, when you go to Settings > Lock screen & security, Set up SIM card lock > is the "Lock SIM card" option disabled?

ezy
Commissioner
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

never used, and still showing as turned off in the menu