account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

XZ1 -WiFi and Firmware v 47.1.A.12.145

Adviser
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

XZ1 -WiFi and Firmware v 47.1.A.12.145

I am still wondering why fell into buying a Sony product XZ1 inspite of problems I experienced with. Z5 compact 3 years earlier. This time its still worse with Wfi problems in addition to battery draining during night and "settings app" crashing leading to automatic restarting of the phone. I had to pay a penalty of several hundred Norwegian kroners  for not showiing my "mobile ticket" during the ticket controll when my phone refused to restart for an hour. 

Also, at my home, XZ1 refused to connect to wifi. I tried to open settings, settings opened with blankpage and screen froze for a while and started to shutdown. It was shutting down for an hour and i was unable to interrupt either. Nothing was working.  The same thing happened during the ticket controll.Phone is just 3 weeks old. 

To make this posting, i had to use Z5 compact as XZ1 wifi is unstable.

After reading through rhe wifi problems in the support forum, i beleive any software update is not going to help wifi instability as none of the updates seem to dolve rthe issue so far. Request sony to look into hardware.

Regards 

6 REPLIES 6
Pioneer
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: XZ1 -WiFi and Firmware v 47.1.A.12.145

@Mahalakshmi

I am also on 145 and let me tell you that so far (for about a month now) my phone works as expected: no freezing, no problems with wifi whatsoever, battery drain during night is at 0.3-0.4% per hour (that's 2 to 3 percent whole night) with wifi and data always on, location always on, background services running. But, scanning is off, battery care is off, smart cleaner is off (I've learnt from my previous XA that this drains power), Xperia actions off. I use the phone a lot during the day, especially for browsing and with apps that refresh every 15-30 seconds and when I get back home from work, it is at around 30% (I even get even past 8 hours SOT). Most probably an app is causing problems to you, or maybe it just needs a fresh start ('repair' with Xperia Companion - if you do that, don't forget to backup everything before you start the process of fresh installing the software)Screenshot_20180514-104532.png

Screenshot_20180514-104617.png

Adviser
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

Hi Roadrunny76,

Thankyou very much for the suggestions and appreciate your feedback.

Scanning, Battery Care, Smart cleaner and Xperia actions are already in the off state. All the apps installed  that are installed on my new XZ1 are the same apps (play store) which I already have them on Z5 compact. (I dont use gaming apps, no new apps either).

Only thing Ithat is left out is to try reapring the phone using companion, which I haven't done it yet. I will perform this and will give you the feedback after observing the phone performance.

Regards

Mahalakshmi

Highlighted
Talent
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

This is an wide-spread issue, happening not just Xperia but other Android phones.

Likely to be caused by most recent Google play service update arounf 5/10.

This happens only when you have Wifi connection off when device is in sleep mode.

So temporary workaround is to keep wifi on when in sleep. Try this. 

Adviser
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

Mahalakshmi,

It is hard to do a normal restart/shutdown after a wifi glitch. It takes a huge time to complete. In this situation, I usually use hard reset pressing power+volume up 3-5 seconds. Phone restarts immediately

Adviser
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

Hi,

Thankyou very much.

Regards

Mahalakshmi

Adviser
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

Hi

//This happens only when you have Wifi connection off when device is in sleep mode.

So temporary workaround is to keep wifi on when in sleep. Try this//

Yes I did observe this and kept my WIFI on all the time couple of days ago. Thanks again for the feedback and help.

Regards