account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

XZ1 Super slow motion vs XZ2

Adviser
Message 11 of 18
Message 11 of 18

Re: XZ1 Super slow motion vs XZ2

@dimipsalwrote:

Because marketing. 

Xz1 has the worst camera out there. No eis or ois. That's really bad.

Well I agree, probably it's marketing so I am hoping in the future they add this feature in an update.

By the way with XZ1 I took some amazing pictures, even in low light.

I believe that Sony intentionally downgrades the camera and when the next flagship appears using the SAME camera and with some software twitches, the results are much better (check XZ1 vs XZ2 camera comparison).

So this camera has more capabilities compressed for marketing reasons because it's probably more expensive to develop a new camera than to make 2 different versions with software changes...

Let's see...

Commissioner
Message 12 of 18
Message 12 of 18

I guess the all XZ family will get that update, but first XZ2 needs to sell-out Winking Face

It's like.. We want something, but it is in new device so I sell my phone and get the XZ2... All bout the money. If they speed up the update, no XZ, XZ P, XZ compact users will move to new and fresh device, and XZ2 won't sell good and as expected.

Z2 also got Z3+ features and smart actions menu a while after Z3+ premiere, cause no one would move to Z3+ if all functions were available from start at both models.

Maybe we'll get update on fall or winter, when XZ3 will come to market. Anyway they're getting short on alphabet, I'm curious if Xperia series is dying, or they gonna keep it till Xperia "XZXZZX 5", that would be funny ;D of course if I'm correct and this series will also end on 5-th model like Z-series did.

>> Xperia XZ1 user, help-ful with knowledge he has;>>
Adviser
Message 13 of 18
Message 13 of 18

Well, then if you make a camera comparison with XZ2 and not only in super slow motion, you will see significant improvements. I mean it's just the same camera, it's sad to know that it has more capabilities and it is limited for marketing reasons. Slightly frowning Face

Could there be an external patch/software to take full advantage of its capabilities?

Wish I have developed my programming skills more Face with stuck-out Tongue

Talent
Message 14 of 18
Message 14 of 18

No.

there was cooperation between qualcom and sony for the xz2 camera. Its hardware like I said + other things that we dont know from qualcom. There wont be a transport of xz2 camera to xz1.

Adviser
Message 15 of 18
Message 15 of 18

So is the proccesing power of a smartphone making a huge difference in quality of the pictures?

We need a hardware expert here to give us more info. 

But still the camera is the same, same light comes in... I really dont get it.

So in theory if it's only processing power the issue, then with the same camera you can get the same results just a little bit slower.

Commissioner
Message 16 of 18
Message 16 of 18

I think the the next huuge update (non security one) will give XZ1 less grain photos, cause opposite to slow motion in fhd, grain is only a software issue to be updated in post process and doesn't need extra cpu power.

>> Xperia XZ1 user, help-ful with knowledge he has;>>
Highlighted
Adept
Message 17 of 18
Message 17 of 18

No it won't. Sony can't improve pictures of xz1 cause of ois and eis. Try to take pictures with manual mode and a tripod. Voila, no grain.

Adviser
Message 18 of 18
Message 18 of 18

The problem is not lack of OIS. I took a picture on Sunday in mid-day sun. I had it on superior auto beacuse it was just to take some silly picture. And the picture that came out looks like oil painting when zoomed in (ISO 50, SS 1/1000). At that shutter speed OIS has no effect. That means the biggest problems are in Sony's post processing algorithms (too much de-noising and sharpening).