account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

XPERIA Backup & Restore issue after Android 9 update

Adviser
Message 1 of 19
Message 1 of 19

XPERIA Backup & Restore issue after Android 9 update

Hello to all,

I'm new on the Sony support forum.

After the update to Android 9 the Backup & Restore function of my XPERIA XZ1 don't work with my Google online account.

If I disconnect the app from my online account, close the app and reopen it I can obtain the permission by Google to manage my online backups and store a new manual backup.

If I close the app and reopen it I can't access to the online account.

The automatic online backup don't work.

Anyone have the same problem?

I've tried to cancel the app data, remove and restore the Google permissions, but nothing...

Thank you in advance.

Paolo Massetti
18 REPLIES 18
Pioneer
Message 2 of 19
Message 2 of 19

Re: XPERIA Backup & Restore issue after Android 9 update

Hi @Jedi80;

There seems to be effectively a problem with the Google account sign in after the first sign in and if you close the app, I already reported / escalate the issue, let's hope that it gets solved on future updates. 

One time poster
Message 3 of 19
Message 3 of 19

Hi Paollo,

Yes, you are obviously not alone with the Xperia Backup & Restore application issues after the XZ1 last firmware upgrade, which also included the OS upgrade to Android 9.0.

I am but not sure if this problem is solely limited to Xperia XZ1 though, but it can be quite possible.

My experience with the official Sony Support staff (be it Slovenian, UK etc. -it doesn't matter which country they cover) is also more or less negative, but hey - they are smearing their own name there ... Most likely the fault is not on first level support but certainly is on every higher level by not providing or at least confirming (i.e. admitting) the evident new software problems encountered and analysed by their own customers.

So, today I managed to find a "one time" or "partial" or better say temporary solution to the problem of manually performing the backup via Backup & Restore application. This solution only lasts for one backup to your eventual SD card and for one (additional) backup to your online Google account. Any further attempt will again be unsuccessful and you will have to apply the same solution yet again when another backup is needed!

THE SOLUTION is quite simple and logical: go to Settings -> Apps & notifications -> See all {n} apps, select 'Show system' from the 3-dots menu in upper right corner, slide down to the 'Backup & restore' app, open its settings, select FORCE STOP, afterwards open its Storage menu, select CLEAR CACHE and CLEAR DATA as well(!), exit Storage menu, and finally select DISABLE (although this latest one step may even not be required, but you can try by yourself). That's all! A complete reset of the application! Next you go back into system Settings etc. and after allowing anew all the required access rights for your Xperia Backup & Restore app you should be able to perform one backup to the selected SD card and one backup to newly selected and signed-in Google account.

Adviser
Message 4 of 19
Message 4 of 19

Thank you,

I've already experienced this way but, unfortunately, one time backup isn't that I expect from my Sony device.

Paolo Massetti
Adviser
Message 5 of 19
Message 5 of 19

The issue should be solved with the recently OTA update 47.2.A.6.30.

Paolo Massetti
Pioneer
Message 6 of 19
Message 6 of 19

Hi @Jedi80;

Unfortunately I already tested it (I've been using 47.2.A.6.30 for more than 2 weeks) and the issue is still not resolved (for the first day it works probably because of the cleaning made with the update, but than it returns).

Adviser
Message 7 of 19
Message 7 of 19

Hi NunoSEN2,

what a nice news! 😒

In any case I've checked that the backup of the app data is still completely missing, unlike for the Google Drive Backup, and it's impossible to manage the app data backups made with Android Oreo. 

Paolo Massetti
Adviser
Message 8 of 19
Message 8 of 19

Dear NunoSEN2,

I confirm, the issue is come back after a few hours.

Paolo Massetti
One time poster
Message 9 of 19
Message 9 of 19

Hi everybody, thanks for the "great" news! 🙂 So, I guess we'll have to wait a bit more for the actual solution. Otherwise I still use the previous firmware (47.2.A.4.45) since there is still no update in my area at the moment.

P.S.: Btw. - my previous comment(-s) under this (or other related) topic were posted under my one-time nickname Hffdzt. Now, hopefully, I at least have solved the mess with too-many accounts for different Sony services ...

Adviser
Message 10 of 19
Message 10 of 19

The issue persists following the recently OTA update 47.2.A.8.24.

Paolo Massetti