account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Why ignore the 3 biggest UI changes in Pie?

Apprentice
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Why ignore the 3 biggest UI changes in Pie?

So I bought an XZ1 having read that it was definitely getting Android Pie.

But Sony seem to have only given us a slice of Pie (sorry, coudn't resist).

For me, Pie's UI changes where the important thing.

But for us, no dark theme, no live horitzonal app switching screen and no guesture navigation.

Really Sony, if you're not going to implement the whole update, you shouldn't claim so in the press.

Coming from Windows Mobile (where phone manufacturers and network operators couldn't mess with the OS or updates) it's little wonder Android is such a mess when every manufacturer mucks about with the OS and network operators can delay rollouts.

Can someone from Sony enlighten us as to the logic behind leaving these features off? And are we going to be getting them in a future update?

7 REPLIES 7
Learner
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: Why ignore the 3 biggest UI changes in Pie?

No unfortunetely. Sony at software updates or keeping features. XZ1 is my both first and last Sony phone as it seems. I'm so frustrated to see DT2W isn't even implemented but XZ and prior had it, no Android Pie feature is implemented, cannot disable Amazon apps etc. They just don't care about their phones at all. Camera is a huge let down too. Even my old and very sadly broken Xiaomi Mi 5 takes better photos than this abomination of a phone.

Edit: Night mode is also missing, it was a feature from 2011 for f*ck sake.

Rookie
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

Absolutely agree. I hate handset manufacturers messing about adding their bloat to the OS just so they have some marketing material, it's why I left Samsung, they went too far with it, it's obviously too difficult for them to handle without Google holding their hand.

This is my last Sony phone. Next phone I'll make sure it's Android One (raw Android) compliant, like Nokia even if their specs.

The heck Sony, why do this? I've got to now put up with a nav bar that doesn't hide anymore, and you removed the PIE option that would have solved it.

This  so much.

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

...you cant even fix this with custom Firmware. My wife has a Samsung S9 which was also full of trash software. But installing cfw was no problem. Sony deletes your drm keys when you unlock the phone... you will lose all the Sony Features of sound, picture and screen etc. As I tell to all of my colleges. „Dont buy Xperia Phones. They are just bad.Buy Xiaomi or Oneplus.“

Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

Hi @podsnap, let me see if i can answer your questions.

As you mentioned, Xperia devices running Android Pie currently do not support Dark mode. We cannot comment on plans to implement Dark mode in the future. However, individual third-party apps can still support Dark mode.

As for gesture navigation, Google's gesture navigation system is not available in Xperia devices which are upgraded to Android 9.0 Pie, nor in Xperia XZ3 which was released on Android Pie. The horizontal app switcher, which is opened by swiping up on Home button, is part of the gesture navigation system and hence not available in these devices. 

We thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We appreciate your comments and will forward them to the relevant departments.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Apprentice
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

Hello, it is regrettable to update the top models of xperia. I installed the Xperia10 Launcher on the Xz1 and I can operate with the gestures. It has been very easy, comfortable and with slight bugs. Here is the link: https://www.xda-developers.com/sony-xperia-10-launcher-ported/ regards

Apprentice
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

While I honestly appreciate you trying to help Martin, the unfortunate thing is, your answers are not answers, they are just statements of the current situation (which we are all accutely aware of).

The question we are asking is WHY?

We can't work out why Sony would only half implement the Pie features and, importantly, leave off the big ticket features.

While it's nice to have the few technical features in Pie, the truth is Oreo worked fine but the UI needed work, which is why the Pie UI features were so important.

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

XZP USER Can"t agree these  anymore!!