account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why 1080p recording with HEVC codec is not available on XZ1 and available on XZ2/XZ3 !???

Learner
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

Why 1080p recording with HEVC codec is not available on XZ1 and available on XZ2/XZ3 !???

Why 1080p recording with HEVC codec is not available?

At the same time when recording in 4K -  HEVC is available. It is an artificial restriction. Why!?

While on the phone XZ2/XZ3 record in 1080p using HEVC codec is available.

What kind of nonsense ???

3 REPLIES
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

Re: Why 1080p recording with HEVC codec is not available on XZ1 and available on XZ2/XZ3 !???

Probably because the 1080p bitrate is small enough as it is, there would be little point In decreasing bitrate on a video recording that is pixel binned to some degree and post processed.

Where HEVC does provide benefit is with 4k and above recordings especially those that are HDR, those video bitrate would be very heavy on storage requirements if not for using the HEVC codec.

The other flip side would be of course that 1080p video quality could be increased by using HEVC, whilst maintaining a similar bitrate. In my experience, on small sensors such as phone sized cameras, higher bitrate on 1080p has provided very, very little image quality enhancements and is not really worth it, again my own opinion on my own experience using such cameras.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Learner
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

Re: Why 1080p recording with HEVC codec is not available on XZ1 and available on XZ2/XZ3 !???

With Your reasoning I could agree, however, XZ2/XZ3 permits write 1080p in HEVC.... So the restriction is artificial... Also according to my observations, 35mbit in which writes HEVC look better (at least not worse) than 55mbit in which writes H264 in 4K. Why not save space, or even improve the quality when recording 1080p ? Again, on XZ2 / XZ3 this is available!

It's not fair marketing, is it? Want 1080p HEVC-buy a new flagship, XZ2 / XZ3...

By the way, my topic about the huge drop in performance in heavy games after upgrade to Android 9, are went unnoticed and unanswered... But problem present... how do get this to Sony?

Highlighted
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

On my xz3 device, I cannot see the option for HEVC in 1080p, only 4k has the different codecs available.

Let me also look at your other post and see.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.